Most of the nouns that start with H would naturally become a part of our discussions and casual chit-chats as they are used to address some of the very common things such as a house, heart, health, and much more. If it wasn’t for these nouns, we wouldn’t be able to express our emotions, ideas, or name places, and actions. Furthermore, there are also nouns that start with H to describe a person, his qualities, and state of existence.
We are positive that in this article you’ll come across a lot of the latest and conspicuous nouns beginning with H to help you communicate effectively. While you glance through this list of nouns starting with H, bear in mind that our goal is not to remember all these nouns but to pick out a few that will be compatible with your style of communication. Nouns that start with H are almost infinite but, in this list, we have included the ones that have wide applications. So, get ready to find some new words in this list of nouns that start with H to step up your writing skill.
Nouns That Start with H You Always Use
Let’s start this list with nouns that start with H which we use habitually while chatting with someone. You’ll see a lot of familiar words in this segment.
- Definition: any of the fine threadlike strands growing from the skin of humans, mammals, and some other animals
- Synonym: fur, wool
- Example: She brushed her long, red hair.
- Definition: the end part of a person’s arm beyond the wrist, including the palm, fingers, and thumb
- Synonym: fist, palm
- Example: He was leading her by the hand.
- Definition: a shaped covering for the head worn for warmth, as a fashion item, or as part of a uniform
- Synonym: titfer
- Example: He was wearing a black straw hat.
- Definition: either of two equal or corresponding parts into which something is or can be divided
- Synonym: fifty percent of, bisection of
- Example: Please cut the cake in half.
- Definition: the measurement of someone or something from head to foot or from base to top
- Synonym: vertical length
- Example: What is the height of this building?
- Definition: the state of being free from illness or injury
- Synonym: healthiness, fitness, well-being
- Example: He was restored to health.
- Definition: a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up
- Synonym: practice, custom, pattern
- Example: He has an annoying habit of interrupting me.
- Definition: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household
- Synonym: place of residence, accommodation, property, a roof over one’s head
- Example: The floods forced many people to flee their homes.
- Definition: an institution providing medical and surgical treatment and nursing care for sick or injured people
- Synonym: medical institution, medical center, health center
- Example: My doctor has referred me to the eye clinic at the local hospital for surgical treatment.
- Definition: the state of being happy
- Synonym: contentment, pleasure, contentedness, satisfaction, cheerfulness, cheeriness, merriment, merriness
- Example: She struggled to find happiness in her life.
Nouns That Start with H You Usually Use
It is crucial to have an accurate understanding of words that are usually a part of our writing and chatting. Let’s skim through some of such nouns starting with H.
- Definition: physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted
- Synonym: injury, hurt, pain, suffering, distress, anguish, trauma, torment, grief
- Example: I didn’t mean to cause him any harm.
- Definition: the room or space just inside the front entrance of a house or flat
- Synonym: entrance hall, hall, hallway, entrance
- Example: Set on five acres, there is a reception hall, drawing room, anteroom, dining room, kitchen, pantry, four bedrooms, and a bathroom.
- Definition: a person legally entitled to the property or rank of another on that person’s death
- Synonym: successor, inheritor, heiress
- Example: Despite having a large family, they still had no son and heir.
- Definition: a place regarded in various religions as a spiritual realm of evil and suffering, often traditionally depicted as a place of perpetual fire beneath the earth where the wicked are punished after death
- Synonym: the netherworld, the abode of the dead, the land of the dead
- Example: Irreligious children were assumed to have passed straight to the eternal fires of hell.
- Definition: a naturally raised area of land, not as high or craggy as a mountain
- Synonym: high ground, prominence, eminence, rise, hillock
- Example: Their house is on the top of the hill.
- Definition: a slight or indirect indication or suggestion
- Synonym: clue, inkling, suggestion, indication
- Example: He has given no hint of his views.
- Definition: the study of past events, particularly in human affairs
- Synonym: the past, former times, historical events
- Example: The history of the Ottoman empire is astonishing.
- Definition: the quality of being honest
- Synonym: moral correctness, uprightness, honorableness
- Example: They spoke with convincing honesty about their fears.
- Definition: a woman admired for her courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities
- Synonym: brave woman, great woman, woman of the hour
- Example: She was a true feminist heroine.
- Definition: a building for human habitation, especially one that consists of a ground floor and one or more upper stores
- Synonym: home, place of residence, homestead, lodging place, a roof over one’s head
- Example: My wife and I are moving to a new house.
Nouns That Start with H You Often Use
This is the last section in which we’ll discuss nouns starting with H will we frequently use during our conversations. So, let’s start right away.
- Definition: a married man considered in relation to his spouse.
- Synonym: spouse, partner, man, mate, consort
- Example: She and her husband are both retired.
- Definition: a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat
- Synonym: lack of food, need for food, hungriness, ravenousness, emptiness
- Example: She was faint with hunger.
- Definition: an establishment providing accommodation, meals, and other services for travelers and tourists
- Synonym: inn, motel, guest house
- Example: She stayed in a five-star hotel during her tour.
- Definition: a large plant-eating domesticated mammal with solid hoofs and a flowing mane and tail, used for riding, racing, and to carry and pull loads
- Synonym: mount, charger
- Example: The mowing machine for the barley and oats was pulled by two horses and carried two people.
- Definition: an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust
- Synonym: terror, fear, fear and trembling
- Example: Children screamed in horror.
- Definition: a piece of metal or other hard material curved or bent back at an angle, for catching hold of or hanging things on
- Synonym: peg, holder, fastener
- Example: We’ll have to screw a hook into the wall.
- Definition: a name that you call someone you love very much
- Synonym: darling, sweetheart
- Example: Hi, honey, I’m home!
- Definition: an extended period of leisure and recreation, especially one spent away from home or traveling
- Synonym: break, rest, period of leave, a day off, week off
- Example: I spent my summer holidays on a farm.
- Definition: a hollow place in a solid body or surface.
- Synonym: pit, ditch, trench, cavity
- Example: The dog had dug a hole in the ground.
- Definition: tools, machinery, and other durable equipment
- Synonym: equipment, apparatus, gear, paraphernalia, tackle, kit, machinery
- Example: High-tech military hardware is very expensive.
Nouns That Start with H You Sometimes Use
We use some nouns more frequently than others and it’s essential to have some unique words in your vocabulary. So, let’s see nouns beginning with H that are only used sometimes.
- Definition: an activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure
- Synonym: pastime, leisure activity, leisure pursuit
- Example: Her hobbies are reading and gardening.
- Definition: a projection of the pelvis and upper thigh-bone on each side of the body in human beings and quadrupeds
- Synonym: pelvis, hindquarters, haunches
- Example: Not only was there damage to my hip but my pelvis had been fractured as well.
- Definition: a covering for the head and neck with an opening for the face, typically forming part of a coat or cloak
- Synonym: head covering, cowl, snood, scarf, headscarf
- Example: He was wearing a jacket with a detachable hood.
- Definition: a flexible tube conveying water, used chiefly for watering plants and in firefighting
- Synonym: pipe, piping, tube
- Example: Sprinkler hose makes it very easy to water the plants.
- Definition: a house and its occupants regarded as a unit
- Synonym: family, house, family circle
- Example: The whole household was asleep.
- Definition: houses and flats considered collectively
- Synonym: homes, houses, places of residence, buildings
- Example: The city is building new housing for the elderly.
- Definition: extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion
- Synonym: publicity, advertisement, promotion
- Example: His first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype.
- Definition: a main road, especially one connecting major towns or cities
- Synonym: main road, main route
- Example: A six-lane highway is being built in the main city.
- Definition: property that is or may be inherited
- Synonym: inheritance, birthright, patrimony
- Example: They had stolen his grandfather’s heritage.
- Definition: any plant with leaves, seeds, or flowers used for flavoring, food, medicine, or perfume
- Synonym: savory, spice
- Example: Some herbs can help in lowering high blood pressure.
Nouns That Start with H You Occasionally Use
Within this section, we’ll cover noun words that start with H which are occasionally a part of our discussions. You will discover some new nouns in this segment.
- Definition: the central part of a wheel, rotating on or with the axle, and from which the spokes radiate
- Synonym: pivot, axis, fulcrum
- Example: Remove your wheels, and wipe them down, since the dirt gets lodged in the little nooks and crannies of the wheel hubs and spokes.
- Definition: irritating inconvenience
- Synonym: inconvenience, bother, nuisance, problem
- Example: The hassle of child care is unimaginable.
- Definition: the natural home or environment of an animal, plant, or other organism
- Synonym: natural environment, natural element, natural territory, natural surroundings, natural terrain, home, domain, haunt
- Example: Due to deforestation a lot of animals are losing their natural habitat.
- Definition: a person who seeks to promote human welfare
- Synonym: philanthropist, benefactor
- Example: He is a genius and humanitarian.
- Definition: a place on the coast where ships may moor in shelter, especially one protected from rough water by piers, jetties, and other artificial structures
- Synonym: port, dock, haven, marina
- Example: They enjoyed fishing in the harbour.
- Definition: the process or period of gathering in crops
- Synonym: gathering in of the crops, harvesting, harvest time, harvest home
- Example: Farmers work longer hours during the harvest.
- Definition: an area of open uncultivated land, typically on acid sandy soil, with characteristic vegetation of heather, gorse, and coarse grasses
- Synonym: moor, heathland, moorland
- Example: Horses were being exercised on the heath.
- Definition: a suspension of movement or activity, typically a temporary one
- Synonym: stop, standstill, come to rest
- Example: There is growing pressure to halt the bloodshed.
- Definition: a tiller or wheel for steering a ship or boat
- Synonym: tiller, wheel
- Example: She stayed at the helm, alert for tankers.
- Definition: the period of a person’s or thing’s greatest success, popularity, activity, or vigor.
- Synonym: prime, peak, height
- Example: The paper has lost millions of readers since its heyday in 1964.
Nouns That Start with H You Seldom Use
Now it’s time to look at some verbs that we seldom use during the writing and speaking. These nouns that start with the letter F will add authenticity to your style.
- Definition: (in former times) the separate part of a Muslim household reserved for wives, concubines, and female servants.
- Synonym: women’s quarters, zenana, serai
- Example: We were invited into the harem in the rear of the house.
- Definition: a person who travels about selling goods, typically advertising them by shouting
- Synonym: trader, seller, dealer
- Example: Hawkers and costermongers pushed their little handcarts, crying ‘Bread!’, ‘Fish!’ and ‘Meat pies!’
- Definition: a domesticated pig, especially a castrated male reared for slaughter
- Synonym: pig, sow, swine, porker
- Example: Half of the remaining 1.4% of the value of poultry products comes from farms that specialize in hogs and pigs.
- Definition: stockings, socks, and tights collectively
- Synonym: stockings, tights, stay-ups, nylons
- Example: Don’t forget spare socks, hosiery, and underwear.
- Definition: a fit of petty annoyance
- Synonym: bad mood, sulk, fit of bad humour
- Example: She walked off in a huff.
- Definition: excessive pride or self-confidence
- Synonym: arrogance, conceit, conceitedness
- Example: The self-assured hubris among economists was shaken in the late 1980s.
- Definition: exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement
- Synonym: frenzy, wildness, feverishness, irrationality
- Example: One woman close to hysteria grabbed my arm.
- Definition: a very stupid or glaring mistake, especially an amusing one
- Synonym: mistake, error, blunder
- Example: The occasional schoolboy howler would amuse the examiners.
- Definition: the main body of a ship or other vessel, including the bottom, sides, and deck but not the masts, superstructure, rigging, engines, and other fittings
- Synonym: framework, body, frame, skeleton, shell, structure, basic structure
- Example: The main structural bulkhead supports the hull sides at the chain plates and the cabin top at the mast step is drastically cut away so the interior is more open.
- Definition: special honour or respect shown publicly
- Synonym: respect, recognition, admiration, esteem
- Example: Many villagers come here to pay homage to the Virgin.
Nouns That Start with H You Rarely Use
Most of the H-nouns are rarely a part of our discussion and chats, but using these in a formal environment can help you build a good rapport.
- Definition: a person or thing viewed as a sign that something is about to happen
- Synonym: sign, indicator, signal
- Example: They considered the first primroses as the herald of spring.
- Definition: a person who hoards things.
- Synonym: collector, saver, gatherer, accumulator, magpie, squirrel
- Example: I’m a bit of a hoarder.
- Definition: a chaotic din caused by a crowd of people
- Synonym: noise, loud noise, din, racket, commotion
- Example: A hubbub of laughter and shouting.
- Definition: a temporary difficulty or problem
- Synonym: problem, difficulty, issue
- Example: Everything went without a hitch.
- Definition: the handle of a knife, axe, or spear
- Synonym: handle, shaft, shank
- Example: He leaned on the haft of his axe.
- Definition: the hard part of the foot of an animal such a horse
- Synonym: foot, trotter, cloven hoof
- Example: There was a clatter of hoofs as a rider came up to them.
- Definition: the dry outer covering of some fruits or seeds
- Synonym: shell, hull, pod, case
- Example: The fibrous husk of the coconut can’t be used as boiler fuel.
- Definition: a person who sells small items door-to-door or from a stall
- Synonym: trader, dealer, seller
- Example: He is a door-to-door huckster.
- Definition: a low, steady continuous sound like that of a bee
- Synonym: purr, whir, throb, vibrate, murmur, buzz, thrum, drone
- Example: The hum of the birds is very pleasing in the morning.
- Definition: a humorous or malicious deception
- Synonym: practical joke, joke, jest, prank, trick, jape
- Example: The evidence had been planted as part of an elaborate hoax.
Positive Nouns That Start with H
Positive words can help you sound confident and pleasant at the same time. It is crucial to have positive nouns that start with H in your conversations to leave a positive impression.
- Definition: the state of being in agreement or concord
- Synonym: agreement, accord, peace
- Example: The US is in perfect harmony with the rest of the world.
- Definition: courage and determination
- Synonym: hope, spirit, enthusiasm
- Example: You are doing excellent, don’t lose heart now.
- Definition: a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen
- Synonym: aspiration, desire, wish, expectation, ambition, aim, plan, dream, daydream, pipe dream
- Example: He looked through her belongings in the hope of coming across some information.
- Definition: a male celebrity who is known for his good looks
- Synonym: idol, pin-up, darling
- Example: He’s the latest Hollywood heart-throb.
- Definition: a place regarded in various religions as the abode of God (or the gods) and the angels, and of the good after death, often traditionally depicted as being above the sky
- Synonym: paradise, nirvana, the kingdom of heaven
- Example: Those who practiced good deeds would receive the reward of a place in heaven.
- Definition: the action of helping someone to do something
- Synonym: assistance, aid, support
- Example: I asked for help from my neighbors.
- Definition: a helpful companion or partner, especially one’s husband or wife.
- Synonym: companion, partner, associate, assistant
- Example: She acted as his pleasant but by no means uncritical helpmate.
- Definition: extreme amusement, especially when expressed by laughter
- Synonym: amusement, mirth, laughter, merriment
- Example: His incredulous expression was the cause of much hilarity.
- Definition: a person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities
- Synonym: brave man, champion, man of courage
- Example: He is a war hero.
- Definition: high respect; great esteem
- Synonym: distinction, privilege, glory
- Example: His portrait hangs in the place of honor.
Nouns That Start with H – Full List (393 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with H
It is imperative for everyone who wants to communicate his/her ideas with others to have a diverse list of words since language is the only option that we have to express our thoughts. We are sure that these nouns beginning with H together with your awe-inspiring thoughts will help you create something breathtaking. But don’t limit yourself to these nouns starting with H since there are other dynamic and impressive nouns starting with different letters.
Did you find any new nouns that start with H in this list that you would like to incorporate in your conversations or writing style? If yes, tell us about it in the comment section.