17 Verbs That Start with X [with Definitions and Examples]
In English language, there are hardly any verbs that start with X. The reason that there aren’t many verbs beginning with X is that X as a consonant does not possess a distinctive sound in the English language. Each language has its own rules regarding what sounds can be used in that language, and how they can be put together. The letter /x/ in English represents two consonant sounds, which could also be represented by /ks/. This consonant cluster can appear at the ends of words in English: box, rocks. It can also appear in the middle of words: axle, mixer. But this sound sequence /ks/ is not a valid onset according to the rules of English Phoneticians, not coming at the start of a word and hence not many verbs starting with X.
There is very short list of verbs that start with X, it is highly recommended that you should get hold of all of these because using these verbs in your friend circle would not just make you sound cool but knowledgeable too. A total of 17 verbs have been divided into several categories to make them easy for you to remember. There are some verbs that start with X to describe certain processes and chemical reactions, but sadly, there isn’t a single verb that start with X to describe a person. Without any further ado, let’s explore some of the verbs that start with X that are available in English language.
Verbs That Start with X You Always Use
For most writers, using verbs starting with X has never been at the top of their list. Following are some of the verbs that start with X that we come across more often.
- Definition: to make a paper copy with a photocopier
- Synonyms: photocopy, duplicate, reprint
- Example: Can you xerox this immediately, Sally?
- Definition: to cross out with letter X
- Synonyms: cross out, delete
- Example: X-out the names of the people who have already left.
- Definition: to make a print from an engraving in wood
- Synonyms: engrave, chisel
- Example: Sean was seen xylographing in the woods.
Verbs That Start with X You Usually Use
Words starting with X are the least used words by writers. Who can blame them when we can only expect 0.02% of the words in the dictionary to be listed under letter X. Following are some of the verbs starting with X that we usually come across.
- Definition: to play a xylophone or to play something else as though it was a xylophone.
- Synonyms: play, perform
- Example: He was xylophoning beautifully.
- Definition: to print or reproduce by xerography
- Synonyms: copy, duplicate
- Example: Please xerocopy this document, John.
Verbs That Start with X You Often Use
Words beginning with X can be very difficult to use in daily lives. To build your vocabulary and to improve the usage of these words, first, you need to start learning verbs starting with X.
- Definition: to perform a tissue graft between species
- Synonyms: transplant, graft
- Example: She’s too busy xenografting the pig to be half-lizard.
- Definition: to convert into a xanthate, e.g. when producing viscose from cellulose
- Synonyms: amalgamate, mix
- Example: He xanthated the chemicals using a process called xanthation.
Verbs That Start with X You Sometimes Use
Most of the verbs starting with X have either been borrowed from foreign languages or they denote some chemical or biological phenomenon. Following are some of the verbs beginning with X that are less frequently used in our everyday lives.
- Definition: to transplant biological matter between species
- Synonyms: graft, transplant
- Example: Human tumor cells were xenotransplanted into immunocompromised mice in the research.
- Definition: to expose something to radiation using x-rays
- Synonyms: scatter, shed, radiate
- Example: Sir, this machine will x-irradiate your patients if used.
Verbs That Start with X You Occasionally Use
It is often difficult to find suitable verbs that start with X that we can put to use in our writings and conversations. Here are some of the verb words that start with X that are occasionally used by writers and speakers.
- Definition: to cancel something
- Synonyms: abort, wipe out, cancel
- Example: I’ve often heard of people x-ing out stuff.
Verbs That Start with X You Seldom Use
The Oxford Dictionary lists around 400 words that begin with X, though online dictionaries only document around 120. Following are some of the verbs that start with the letter X that are seen very seldom.
- Definition: to predict the future using wood
- Synonyms: anticipate, envision
- Example: He tried to xylomance to know the fate of his beloved.
- Definition: to remove or convey from one place or person to another
- Synonyms: pass on, consign, convey
- Example: Please xfer my views to her.
Verbs That Start with X You Rarely Use
Apart from usage of X-verbs in chemistry and physics, they are also used in different coding programs such as Matlab, Java, Python and and C++. Here are some of the verbs starting with X that are rarely used by people.
- Definition: to perform the XOR function upon
- Synonyms: connecting, joining
- Example: The electrician XORed the two gates.
- Definition: to encode a file using Xxencoding
- Synonyms: cipher, codify
- Example: He was xxencoding all the data into one large file.
Positive Verbs That Start with X
Some verbs denote certain actions that talk about serving humanity in different forms. Following are some of the positive verbs that start with X that describe such type of actions and processes.
- Definition: To look deeply or to take an x-ray of something
- Synonyms: radiograph, radiogram
- Example: Can you please x-ray her left arm?
- Definition: to landscape in a style appropriate to arid regions requiring little or no irrigation.
- Synonyms: landscape, garden
- Example: The plan is to xeriscape the area and remove all that dead grass over there.
Verbs That Start with X – Full List (17 words)
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with X
Thank you for going through this article with interest. Hopefully, you would have learnt some new verbs that start with X. If you can acquire as many verbs beginning with X as possible, you would be able to establish an excellent rapport with other speakers and authors. By having a number of verbs beginning with X at your disposal your conversations and writings will become distinctive and appealing. Most people are unaware of the verbs starting with X but if you start and using them among your friends and colleagues, this will help you build a unique image for yourself.
Ps. See also positive words that start with X, adjectives that start with X and nouns that start with X.