Can you think of any adjectives that start with Z in the English language? Maybe you can tell “zero” and “zealous”. Then any more Z adjectives? I guess probably not, because adjectives starting with Z are kind of rare.
Let’s take a look at some examples of adjectives beginning with Z.
- There’s still zero evidence that she was directly involved in the decision.
- He is a zealous supporter of the government’s policies.
- There are a zillion fans in the concert.
Among them, “zealous” is one of the most popular adjectives that start with Z to describe a person in a good way. By adding descriptive words that start with Z, or called Z descriptive words, in sentences above, the nouns are described more properly.
Scroll down to read the full list of adjectives that start with Z.
Adjectives that Start With Z – Full List (23 words)
Adjectives starting with Z may be the least common among all letters. Check below and see you know how many of these Z adjectives.
Adjectives That Start with Z – with Definitions and Examples
Since some of adjectives beginning with Z are seldom used in our daily conversations and writing, we list their definitions and example to help understand.
- Definition: a person who is amusingly unconventional and idiosyncratic
- Synonyms: nutty, comical, clownish
- Example: She is a zany person.
- Definition: a person who is able or willing to show zeal
- Synonyms: ardent, fervent, passionate
- Example: He is pretty zealous in the application of rules and laws.
- Definition: a person who is characterized by great energy and enthusiasm
- Synonyms: energetic, vigorous
- Example: She is always zestful at everything she does, which is why others can’t easily compete with her.
- Definition: a person who is bright, fresh, and lively
- Synonyms: active, dynamic, spirited
- Example: He is zippy so that he can work well with either of his offices.
- Definition: someone who is (especially a woman) exceptionally full and round-figured
- Synonyms: plump, healthy, beautiful, fact
- Example: Her beauty is so zaftig that no one can take his eyes off her.
- Definition: an alternate spelling for zaftig
- Synonyms: curvaceous, rounded
- Example: She is a zoftig lady.
- Definition: a place that is located at or near the zenith
- Synonyms: parallel, above
- Example: The resort is zenithal by the road.
- Definition: a place that is preceding even the first one in a specific series
- Example: The zeroth building on this street is a warehouse.
- Definition: a place that is having the abrupt alternate right and left turns and twists
- Synonyms: winding, curvy
- Example: When the predator is trying to attack, the prey takes a zigzag path to escape.
- Definition: a place that is related to the study of animal or experiments on animals
- Synonyms: zoo, sanctuary, reserve
- Example: The zoological park in our town is crowded on the weekends.
- Definition: about a small inflatable boat powered by an outboard motor or a place related to the zodiac, which is a belt of the heavens within about 8° on either side of the ecliptic, including all apparent positions of the sun, moon, and most familiar planets. It is divided into twelve equal divisions or signs
- Synonyms: heavenly
- Example: We are planning to go for a zodiacal ride today.
- Definition: Divided into zones
- Synonyms: regional, territorial
- Example: The BDA plans to display large maps and zonal regulations contained in this CDP at a central location for public viewing.
- Definition: something or a place related to the nature of zones
- Synonyms: zonal, departmental
- Example: We have to follow the zonary restrictions when parking a car.
- Definition: a flower having bilaterally symmetrical planes
- Synonyms: regular, uniform, consistent, equal, balanced
- Example: I like to take pictures of zygomorphic plants.
- Definition: an extremely large number of people or things
- Synonyms: gazillion
- Example: A zillion people were there.
- Definition: something that is relating to a particular geologic era or a particular manner of animal existence
- Synonyms: Cryptozoic
- Example: The library is full of books related to zoic history.
- Definition: something that in the manner of Emile Zola
- Synonyms: Zolaistic
- Example: This is a zolaesque French novel.
- Definition: something that is related to the cheek region of the face
- Synonyms: facial
- Example: People who have sensitive skin must protect their zygomatic part against cosmetics
- Definition: an animal that feeds on the flesh of the other animals
- Synonyms: carnivorous
- Example: The tourist is busy staring at zoophagous animals.
- Definition: something that produced after the fertilization of sperm with an egg
- Synonyms: embryo, fetus
- Example: I am really excited to look at my zygote’s image on the screen of the ultrasound machine.
- Definition: something that resembles an enzyme
- Synonyms: biochemical, bio-substance
- Example: I have been taking medication for zymoid for a long time now.
- Definition: something that causes fermentation
- Synonyms: zymolytic, yeast
- Example: The chemistry students are studying zymotic reactions.
- Definition: a person who is related to zoonosis, a person suffering from a disease transmitted from animals such as anthrax or rabies
- Synonyms: diseased, ill
- Example: There are vaccination and treatment for most of the zoonotic viruses.
Final Thoughts on Adjectives That Start with Z
Congratulations on reading all the way to the end of adjectives that start with the letter Z, very last alphabet in the English language. That means you’ve successfully finished all the A to Z adjectives prepared for you. Well done!
Learning and memorizing these adjectives that start with Z is just the first step. It is essential to practice them in your daily verbal communication and written formal letters to really master them. So keep practicing!