There are many positive words that start with A in the English language. We use them to describe something in a positive way.
The wider our vocabulary in a language is, the better we will be able to express ourselves, and the better we will be able to understand others while speaking it. When we speak, we like to say good things, of course. That’s why positive words exist.
If you’ve clicked on this article, your goal is probably expanding your English vocabulary with some positive words. And what better letter there is to start off with that than A, the king of alphabets? It will help us a lot if we know some inspirational words that start with A.
That’s why we have made this list of positive words that start with A. If you go through these positive words beginning with A, you will be able to learn many new good words, hopefully.
Table of Contents
Positive Words That Start with A – Full List (305 words)
In this section, we cover a full list of 305 positive words that start with A.
Positive Words That Start with A to Describe a Person
Often, we need words to explain or mention something specific or good about another person. So these words starting with A to describe a person positively might come in handy.
- Definition: someone who is highly trained or skilled in a particular activity
- Synonyms: expert, master, proficient, skilled
- Example: Mr Roberts is a very accomplished businessman.
- Definition: a person who has a balance of extrovert and introvert features.
- Synonyms: florid, irascible
- Example: She has an ambivert personality, so you can’t expect her to be hyper all the time.
- Definition: not conforming to the usual type
- Synonyms: unique, unconventional
- Example: Her atypical approach to the poem is what made her the winner.
- Definition: someone you can be friendly with
- Synonyms: amiable, agreeable, charming
- Example: Their daughter is quite an affable person, so you needn’t worry.
- Definition: the state of not being asleep
- Synonyms: awaken, rouse
- Example: She was awake the whole night thinking about the matter.
- Definition: someone who is properly attentive to something
- Synonyms: keen, observant, attentive
- Example: Her strongest quality is that she is always alert.
- Definition: given official approval to act after meeting certain criteria
- Synonyms: certified, approved
- Example: She is an accredited therapist, so she might be able to help you out.
- Definition: someone who approves of something
- Synonyms: allowing, accepting
- Example: The father is approving of his children’s dreams.
- Definition: someone who displays a strong fondnessfor someone
- Synonyms: loving, caring, doting, fond
- Example: He was raised in an affectionate family; that’s why he is so full of love.
- Definition: someone who is daring and can take risks
- Synonyms: brave, audacious, courageous
- Example: Their adventurous nature is what led them to the bottom of the mystery.
Positive Words That Start with A to Encourage Yourself
Some positive words can be used for practising self-encouragement. In that case, take a look at these good words that start with A.
- Definition: arousing or deserving of respect
- Synonyms: commendable, respectable
- Example: Your attempts at always doing your best is very admirable.
- Definition: engaging or ready to engage in physically energetic pursuits
- Synonyms: mobile, energetic
- Example: Don’t be lazy; always try to be active!
- Definition: causing great surprise or wonder
- Synonyms: astonishing, bewildering, astounding
- Example: You are an amazing individual.
- Definition: a strong desire to achieve something
- Synonyms: goal, aim, aspiration, objective
- Example: Your ambition to become a writer will certainly be fulfilled one day.
- Definition: something done successfully with effort and courage
- Synonyms: attainment, winning, acquirement
- Example: The smallest improvement is the biggest achievement.
- Definition: situated or going ahead, at a higher level than the rest
- Synonyms: Developed, progressive, ahead
- Example: After years of tireless practice, now their skills in coding are very advanced.
- Definition: being an expert in some activity
- Synonyms: champion, star, master
- Example: Lia is the ace of her softball team.
- Definition: someone who is quick to understand or learn
- Synonyms: ready, willing, fit, suitable
- Example: You are apt at whatever you do, which is great quality.
- Definition: achieve or complete successfully
- Synonyms: fulfil, attain, conclude
- Example: Today, you have accomplished something admirable.
- Definition: continuing in existence
- Synonyms: existing, living, surviving, breathing
- Example: You’re alive right now, and that’s all that matters.
Positive Words That Start with A to Compliment Others
When someone does something good, we like to compliment them. Here are some nice words that start with A used for praising others.
- Definition: someone who can move quickly and easily
- Synonyms: fast, quick, sporty
- Example: Since you are very agile, you can do well in almost any sports.
- Definition: having the ability to assess situations and turn it into one’s advantage correctly
- Synonyms: sharp, quick, witty
- Example: She is an astute businesswoman, that’s why she is so successful.
- Definition: powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating
- Synonyms: attractive, enticing, appealing
- Example: His beauty is so alluring that it’s hard to take your eyes off him.
- Definition: a person who is pleasing or appealing to look at
- Synonyms: beautiful, good-looking, gorgeous, lovely
- Example: This band consists of an attractive and talented bunch of young men.
- Definition: having a natural creative skill
- Synonyms: creative, imaginative, expressive
- Example: You can see a glimpse of her artistic mind through these paintings.
- Definition: giving or designed to give pleasure through beauty
- Synonyms: ornamental, graceful, elegant
- Example: Her fashion style is so aesthetic that she easily becomes the centre of attention everywhere.
- Definition: sweet, kind, and beautiful
- Synonyms: celestial, divine, cherubic
- Example: Moon Taeil’s angelic voice can captivate anyone.
- Definition: someone who is cute and lovable
- Synonyms: charming, delightful, sweet, cute
- Example: Their smallest child is an adorable ball of sunshine.
- Definition: physically strong and fit for sports
- Synonyms: sturdy, sporty, robust, able-bodied
- Example: Yuta’s athletic self easily won the match though the odds were against his favour.
- Definition: characterised by acumen
- Synonyms: sharp, keen
- Example: Her acuminous personality makes her one of the best among all the candidates.
Positive Words That Start with A to Help Through Difficulties
Difficult times frequently come in our life. During those times, these encouraging words that start with A might be able to offer you some help.
- Definition: having a company
- Synonyms: support, partner
- Example: Even if we’re alone right now, one day we will all have someone to accompany us.
- Definition: someone who is lively
- Synonyms: brisk, cheerful, eager
- Example: Don’t drown in melancholy; let’s be more alacritous!
- Definition: something that is illuminated
- Synonyms: aglow, lighted, lit
- Example: Though life seems to be dark right now, one day, the road will be alright, showing you the way.
- Definition: pertaining to love
- Synonyms: amorous, amatory, loving
- Example: Be amative and fill others with your love, then one day someone will love you back for sure.
- Definition: a state of everything being okay
- Synonyms: unharmed, safe, well
- Example: It’s hard now, but you will be alright.
- Definition: clear and restrained, harmonious
- Synonyms: melodious, serene, calm
- Example: When you’re feeling anxious, you should listen to Apollonian music to calm down.
- Definition: trembling or shaking with strong excitement
- Synonyms: quivering, trembling, tremulous
- Example: One day, you too will experience the happiness that will make your heart aquiver.
- Definition: characterised by security and certainty
- Synonyms: confident, secure
- Example: Rest assured, soon everything will be alright.
- Definition: being in motion
- Synonyms: active, stirring
- Example: Time is a river, and life is an astir boat; everything shall pass.
- Definition: of enormous magnitude
- Synonyms: magnanimous, immense, vast
- Example: The universe is astronomical, filled with endless possibilities.
Positive Words That Start with A to Uplift Our Mind
When we’re feeling down or low, these motivational words that start with A can uplift us for another day of hard work.
- Definition: something that has been successfully achieved
- Synonyms: deed, effort, attainment, achievement
- Example: The fact that you’ve come this far is already a big accomplishment.
- Definition: selfless concern for the well-being of others.
- Synonyms: selflessness, self-sacrifice
- Example: You will definitely get the rewards of your altruism one day.
- Definition: a purpose to fulfil
- Synonyms: goal, intention, objective
- Example: Aim for the stars so that you can reach the sky.
- Definition: existing in large numbers or amounts
- Synonyms: numerous, superabound
- Example: There is an abounding amount of love hidden within all of us; let it out.
- Definition: the opportunity to gain something
- Synonyms: profit, favour, benefit
- Example: Take advantage of what you have instead of waiting for what you can’t have.
- Definition: the desire to achieve something
- Synonyms: longing, desire, wish, expectation
- Example: We all should strive to fulfil our aspirations.
- Definition: The action of expecting something
- Synonyms: expectation, prediction
- Example: The anticipation of the next day will keep you alive.
- Definition: paying close attention to something
- Synonyms: alert, watchful, concentrating
- Example: If you are attentive in whatever you do, you will surely gain success.
- Definition: a feeling of reverential respect mixed with wonder
- Synonyms: wonder, amazement, astonishment
- Example: If you keep working hard like this, one day the world will stare at you in awe.
- Definition: burning fiercely
- Synonyms: alight, aflame
- Example: Keep the fire of passion in your heart ablaze.
List of Positive Words That Start with A to Keep Us Stay Positive
Staying positive is the key to handling the hardships of life, so these positive words starting with A will remind you that.
- Definition: something that is blooming
- Synonyms: flowering, flourishing, blooming
- Example: Keep the hope abloom in your heart.
- Definition: At a higher level than something
- Synonyms: over, higher, up
- Example: Rise above yourself, only then you will achieve a sense of fulfilment.
- Definition: (Hawaiian term) love and friendship
- Synonyms: love, affection, amity
- Example: Be full of aloha, and spread the aloha!
- Definition: something that is glowing
- Synonyms: radiant, glowing, bright
- Example: Keep your smile aglow, for it’s not the end of it all.
- Definition: existing as a thought or idea instead of something concrete
- Synonyms: intangible, conceptual
- Example: Abstract concepts like love are, in fact, the strongest concepts of all.
- Definition: the assertion that something exists or is true
- Synonyms: confirmation, ratification
- Example: Your own deeds are the only affirmation of who you are today or who you will be in the future.
- Definition: having a keen interest in something
- Synonyms: keen, eager, ardent
- Example: As long as you are avid at whatever you do, you will certainly find happiness from it.
- Definition: declare free from guilt
- Synonyms: exonerate, acquit
- Example: Him being absolved proves that truth always wins.
- Definition: feeling or expressing deep affection and love
- Synonyms: admiring, caring, affectionate
- Example: He is very adoring towards his little sister.
Commonly Used Positive Words That Start with A
Some positive words that start with A are used commonly in daily life, but we might not know the meaning or usage of those.
- Definition: something that happens all the time
- Synonyms: forever, continuous
- Example: He is always trying his best to outdo himself.
- Definition: enough or more than enough
- Synonyms: plentiful, sufficient, adequate
- Example: There are ample love and courage hidden in our hearts.
- Definition: having the power, means, opportunity, etc. to do something
- Synonyms: capable, competent
- Example: He was able to get into the university he wanted.
- Definition: join something to something else
- Synonyms: attach, append
- Example: Her beautiful smile only added to her already alluring beauty.
- Definition: have the same opinion about something
- Synonyms: concur, accord, consensus
- Example: We all agreed to go to the beach this summer vacation.
- Definition: greatly surprised
- Synonyms: astonished, astounded
- Example: I was amazed at how fun the rides in the amusement park were.
- Definition: A person of exemplary conduct or virtue.
- Synonyms: saint, gem
- Example: He is so kind; it’s as if he is an angel on Earth.
- Definition: having existed for a long time
- Synonyms: old, elderly, matured
- Example: Though he has aged physically, he is still a child inside.
- Definition: give an affirmative answer to something
- Synonyms: undertake, agree, embrace
- Example: I accept the fact that you are an amazing singer.
- Definition: the whole quantity or extent of something
- Synonyms: every, whole
- Example: All of them passed the exam.
Positive Words That Start with A for Attractive Resumes
By using certain positive words that start with A, we can create a good impression through our resumes. So check these out.
- Definition: having a practical use or purpose
- Synonyms: practised, implemented
- Example: I have a degree in Applied Chemistry.
- Definition: the ability to make good judgements and quick decisions
- Synonyms: acuity, sharpness, awareness
- Example: You have displayed a great deal of acumen today.
- Definition: brisk and cheerful readiness
- Synonyms: eagerness, willingness, readiness
- Example: I am always taking in new challenges with alacrity.
- Definition: seeking advancement or recognition for something.
- Synonyms: desiring, ambition, pursuing
- Example: For a long time, I have been an aspiring dentist.
- Definition: expressing yourself clearly, readily, effectively
- Synonyms: precision, clarity
- Example: I have the ability to be articulate in whatever I do and say.
- Definition: recognition of accomplishment
- Synonyms: compliment, encomium, honour
- Example: I believe I have earned the accolade of a “philanthropist”.
- Definition: able and willing to change
- Synonyms: adjustable, flexible
- Example: I also have an adaptable personality, so I can always match the wavelength of the customers.
- Definition: something that is real and genuine.
- Synonyms: actual, correct, true
- Example: I will strive to provide only the most authentic information.
- Definition: something that can bring about advantages
- Synonyms: beneficial, favourable
- Example: I am confident that having me on your team will be very advantageous for your company.
- Definition: the capacity to be successfully performed
- Synonyms: operability, performability
- Example: I have displayed satisfactory actability in all the plays I have participated in before.
Final Thoughts on Positive Words That Start with A
We went through quite a long list of positive words that start with the letter A. These words can be used in different stages of our lives. Depending on how they are used in a sentence, their meanings and significance might change. That’s the beauty of a language!
We hope that you were able to expand your vocabulary to some extent through our list of positive words that start with A. Keep reviewing the new words you learned repeatedly so as to not forget them. Soon, you’ll be able to develop an admirable English vocabulary.