In English language, there are only a few verbs that start with Z. There is no apparent answer to the question that why there aren’t many verbs beginning with Z. If we start counting other types of words starting with letter Z, we won’t find many either. So, it can be established that letter Z is used very less in English language.
Z is the twenty-sixth and final letter of the modern English alphabet and the ISO basic Latin alphabet. Its usual names in English are zed and zee, with an occasional archaic variant izzard.
There are certain verbs starting with Z that are used to describe chemical reactions, biological processes, and physical measurements. An interesting fact about such verbs is that they have originated from the names of the atomic elements or physical instruments that are involved in actions those verbs perform. For example, the verb zirconiate has emerged from the word zirconium (noun) which is an atomic element. Those English language users who haven’t read about these things often face difficulty in comprehending and using these verbs. Despite knowing the fact that the list of verbs that start with Z is a very short one, people often encounter trouble using them due to their complex nature. Apart from that, there is also an absence of the type of verbs that start with Z to describe a person or place.
In order to know about verbs that start with Z in detail, continue reading this article.
Table of Contents
Verbs That Start with Z You Always Use
Our lives are full of actions and those actions are carried out by the use of verbs. Following are some of the verbs that start with Z that we use the most.
- Definition: to move quickly
- Synonyms: dash, hurry, zoom
- Example: We were about to cross the road when a car suddenly zipped past.
- Definition: to move quickly
- Synonyms: buzz, dash, whiz
- Example: They got into the car and zoomed off.
- Definition: move or cause to move suddenly and rapidly
- Synonyms: sprint, rush, dash
- Example: Racing cars zapped past us on the track below.
- Definition: to divide an area for a certain purpose
- Synonyms: divide, cut, partition
- Example: When are they going to zone the land for our house?
- Definition: to move in a pattern on a line with sharp turns and angles
- Synonyms: bend, crinkle, snake
- Example: They watched the yellow Ferrari zigzag up the road.
Verbs That Start with Z You Usually Use
In our verbal and written communications, we use some verbs more than the others. Following is a list of verbs starting with Z that we usually use in our daily life routine.
- Definition: to concentrate directly on a target
- Synonyms: focus, concentrate, fixate
- Example: He zeroed in his rifle at 200 yards.
- Definition: to remove small pieces from the rind of a citrus fruit as a flavor in cooking
- Synonyms: flavor, season, grate
- Example: Kindly zest the oranges and lemons.
- Definition: to lose consciousness
- Synonyms: faint, swoon, black out
- Example: I always just zonk out and sleep straight through.
- Definition: to treat or coat with zinc
- Synonyms: cover, galvanize, impregnate
- Example: Turbine’s surface was zincified.
- Definition: make a sharp change of direction
- Synonyms: drift, curve
- Example: We zigged to the right.
Verbs That Start with Z You Often Use
There are some verbs that are either much complicated or just less common than the rest. Following is a list of verbs starting with Z that we often make use of.
- Definition: move rapidly
- Synonyms: dash, gallop, scamper
- Example: Another bullet zinged past him.
- Definition: fasten or provide with a zipper
- Synonyms: fix, fasten, secure
- Example: He zippered up his suit very tight.
- Definition: to turn (an active alert person) into a zombie
- Synonyms: transform, change, alter
- Example: Alan was zombified in the TV serial “The Walking Dead”.
- Definition: to halt enemy’s entrance by building a thorn fence fortifying a camp or village.
- Synonyms: cutoff, terminate
- Example: Sudanese army zaribaed their base.
- Definition: to strike someone or something with one’s fist
- Synonyms: beat, bash, smack
- Example: The bouncer zotted the unruly patron on the side of the head.
Verbs That Start with Z You Sometimes Use
Some of the verbs beginning with Z might be pretty commonly used, but there are also some among them that are only used at sometimes. Following is a list of such verbs.
- Definition: To stew, as flounders, eels, etc., with just enough liquid to cover them
- Synonyms: boil, cook
- Example: Eels were zoutched in light olive oil.
- Definition: to set, reset or initialize something (especially a variable or parameter) to zero
- Synonyms: load, boot, set
- Example: Before turning the circuit on, the multimeter was zeroized.
- Definition: to adapt to the Zulu culture or language
- Synonyms: transform, convert
- Example: He was zuluized within a few months of reaching Zulu lands.
- Definition: to write in, or adapt to, the style of the French writer Émile Zola
- Synonyms: adapt, accustom, conform
- Example: You must zolaize your writings to get recognition.
- Definition: to blow or move like a zephyr
- Synonyms: breeze, puff, waft
- Example: Violets zephyred in the west wind.
Verbs That Start with Z You Occasionally Use
It is often difficult to find suitable verbs that start with Z that we can put to use in our writings and conversations. Here are some of the verb words that start with Z that are occasionally used by writers and speakers.
- Definition: to make the hissing sound characteristic of frying fat
- Synonyms: wheeze, whir
- Example: Water under the action of boiling is sometimes said to zizzle.
- Definition: to treat or coat with zirconium
- Synonyms: cover, galvanize, coat
- Example: Stationary gas turbines are increasingly being zirconiated these days.
- Definition: to make something more interesting or attractive by changing it slightly or adding something to it
- Synonyms: liven, furnish
- Example: The stylist said he would zhuzh up the outfit with a hat.
- Definition: to make zoomorphic; to attribute an animal form or nature to a deity or supernatural being
- Synonyms: goatish, attribute, impute
- Example: The clan founder was zoomorphized as a spirit bear.
- Definition: to kill or murder someone
- Synonyms: exterminate, assassinate, eliminate
- Example: I heard Tommy Tuco git zotzed by the Farreli family last week.
Verbs That Start with Z You Seldom Use
Some verbs are either more complex or just simply less frequent than others. Following is a list of verb words that start with the letter Z and are seldom used in our writings and conversations.
- Definition: to modify or upgrade
- Synonyms: rework, tweak, beatify
- Example: Hey mechanic! Kindly zhng my car.
- Definition: to mimic
- Synonyms: imitate, mock, copy
- Example: He was zanying me in his play.
- Definition: to roll downhill or engage in sports in a zorb ball
- Synonyms: bowl, drive, reel
- Example: He zorbed the ball from the top of the cliff.
- Definition: to increase the Zionistic nature of
- Synonyms: convert, transform
- Example: The cause for Nazism, fascism is without a doubt Zionism and the West HAS to be de zionified for the good of its existence.
- Definition: to erect or take refuge within a zeriba
- Synonyms: shelter, harbor, hide
- Example: They zeribaed in the zeriba when the rain started to pour.
Verbs That Start with Z You Rarely Use
Some Z-verbs are rarely used or even heard of in our daily lives. When a reader learns them, he is astounded to know that such a verb even exists. Below are some of those verbs that start with Z.
- Definition: to convert to Zionism
- Synonyms: transform, baptize, reform
- Example: The Israeli government has attempted to zionize Jerusalem and transform it.
- Definition: to convert (or be converted) into a zeolite
- Synonyms: convert, transform, form
- Example: Aluminum and silicon compounds were zeolitized in the lab.
- Definition: to attack an opponent with a large swarm of units before they have been able to build sufficient defenses
- Synonyms: ambush, besiege
- Example: Vikings zerged the wildings after dark.
- Definition: make a whizzing or buzzing sound.
- Synonyms: whiz, whir
- Example: The banger started zizzing furiously.
- Definition: to treat or coat with zinc
- Synonyms: coat, enclose
- Example: Guard rails were zinced in the factory.
Positive Verbs That Start with Z
There are some positive verbs that both carry and spread positivity and also describe your skills, results, and accomplishments. These are some of the positive verbs that start with Z that you should have at your disposal.
- Definition: to engage in the study of zoology
- Synonyms: inspect, study, memorize
- Example: Rabail has been zoologizing for the past three years.
- Definition: to make (something) more lively, interesting, stylish, or appealing, as by a small change or addition
- Synonyms: furnish, decorate, provision
- Example: These colorful throw pillows are an easy way to zhoosh up your living room.
- Definition: to play a musical instrument shaped like a flat box
- Synonyms: fiddle, fidget
- Example: He zithers with charming effect.
- Definition: to ride for recreation along a suspended, inclined cable equipped with a pulley and a harness
- Synonyms: dangle, ride, hung
- Example: We ziplined for more than two hours through the rainforest.
- Definition: to dance to zouk music
- Synonyms: waltz, dance, whirl
- Example: She was zouking away enthusiastically.
Verbs That Start with Z – Full List (40 words)
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with Z
It is hoped that you would have enjoyed reading this article and would have learnt a few new verbs that start with Z. By now you also would have known that verbs starting with Z are very rare. If you have memorized some of the verbs beginning with Z, the next step is really very critical for you as well, and that comprises the practical application of these verbs in phrases, clauses and sentences that you either write or utter. Practically applying these verbs in your daily life routine will not just enhance your skill level but will also groom your expressive language.