237 Nouns That Start with Y [with Definitions and Examples]
There are only a handful of nouns that start with Y, due to which their applications are as scarce as hen’s teeth. This implies that you’ll discover a lost of nouns beginning with Y which are not commonly used and you can use these nouns to acquire a leverage over the others. These nouns that start with Y will also come in handy while exercising narrative and creative writing style owing to their unique and compact nature.
While learning up-to-date and eminent words is of the essence, it is crucial to have some rare nouns in your vocabulary notebook that can be used to create coherent and complete sentence structure. Nouns that start with Y to describe a person are also very few in number but we spared no effort to include as many treasured and cherished nouns starting with Y as we can. You’ll come across a lot of new and unique nouns but we’ve listed plain and audience reader friendly definition and examples. So, let’s begin with sensational and sublime list of nouns that start with Y.
Nouns That Start with Y You Always Use
Let’s commence this list with nouns that start with Y which are always a part of our daily talk. We believe you will come across a lot of familiar words in this section.
- Definition: yellow color or pigment
- Synonyms: yellow pigment, yellowing, yellowness
- Example: Window pans were painted in vivid blues and yellows.
- Definition: the period of 365 days (or 366 days in leap years) starting from the first of January, used for reckoning time in ordinary affairs
- Synonyms: duration, length of time, twelve-month period
- Example: Alice is six years old.
- Definition: the day before today
- Synonyms: last day, the other day, recently
- Example: Yesterday was Tuesday.
- Definition: an area of land used for a particular purpose or business
- Synonyms: workshop, works, factory
- Example: Make sure the yard is well swilled out.
- Definition: an activity that involves doing physical and breathing exercises to make you stronger and make your mind and body relax
- Synonyms: joga, hatha yoga, rāja yoga
- Example: He attends regular yoga classes.
- Definition: a child, young person, or young animal
- Synonyms: young adult, young man/woman, youth
- Example: As a youngster, he was very shy.
- Definition: the period between childhood and maturity
- Synonyms: youngster, childhood, immaturity
- Example: She regrets that she spent her youth travelling and not studying.
- Definition: a reflex act of opening one’s mouth wide and inhaling deeply due to tiredness or boredom
- Synonyms: the action of gaping, the action of yawning
- Example: She managed to stifle a yawn.
- Definition: a loud, sharp cry, especially of pain, surprise, or delight; a shout
- Synonyms: cry, yelp, call
- Example: Her foot slipped and she gave a yell of fear.
- Definition: a fungus used in making beer and wine, or to make bread rise
- Synonyms: raising agent, barm, baking powder
- Example: You mix flour, yeast and water to make bread.
Nouns That Start with Y You Usually Use
This section will help you get a better interpretation of words that are usually a part of our conversations. Let’s scud through a few of such nouns starting with Y.
- Definition: yacht is a large boat with sails or a motor, used for racing or pleasure trips
- Synonyms: barque, boat, brig
- Example: His 36ft yacht sank suddenly last summer.
- Definition: something that connects two things or people, usually in a way that unfairly limits freedom
- Synonyms: connection
- Example: Love is the yoke of marriage.
- Definition: the yellow internal part of a bird’s egg, which is surrounded by the white, is rich in protein and fat, and nourishes the developing embryo
- Synonyms: vitellus, egg yolk
- Example: Egg yolks are mixed with pigments to create a distemper medium.
- Definition: a person who agrees with everything that is said
- Synonyms: toady, sycophant
- Example: You have to be a yesman in order to survive in this industry.
- Definition: a loud willing cry, especially one of pain or distress
- Synonyms: howling, wail, wailing
- Example: Vicki gave a loud yowl and everyone else stared at us.
- Definition: a circular tent of felt or skins on a collapsible framework, used by nomads in Mongolia, Siberia, and Turkey
- Synonyms: tent, teepee, marquee
- Example: They are hung as doorway coverings at the entrance to a yurt.
- Definition: yule is an old-fashioned word for Christmas
- Synonyms: Christmas, holidays, wintertime
- Example: Our favorite holiday is Yule.
- Definition: the basic monetary unit of China
- Synonyms: money, cash, denomination
- Example: Current account convertibility for the yuan already exists in all cities.
- Definition: it is a food in the form of a thick, slightly sour liquid that is made by adding bacteria to milk
- Synonyms: curd, yoghurt, buttermilk
- Example: I eat natural yogurt with my cereal.
- Definition: the distant past or times long ago
- Synonym: yesteryear, past, history
- Example: In the days of yore, the Internet did not exist.
Nouns That Start with Y You Often Use
This segment will cover nouns starting with Y that will automatically become a part of your statement while writing or speaking. Details of these nouns are as follows:
- Definition: a large hairy creature resembling a human or bear, said to live in the Himalyas
- Synonyms: abominable, snowman, rakshasa
- Example: I didn’t know what to make of his story of meeting two yetis in the high Himalayas.
- Definition: an animal one year of age
- Synonyms: toddler, nestling
- Example: The colt was sold as a yearling for only $1,000 and was a bargain for his current owner, Amr Zedan of Saudi Arabia, at $35,000.
- Definition: a veriety of fish with yellow fins
- Synonyms: fish, tuna, croaker
- Example: Here swim the schools of yellowfin and bluefin tuna.
- Definition: a short, sharp cry or bark
- Synonyms: bark, cry, yip
- Example: She uttered a yelp as she bumped into a table.
- Definition: a compilation of images and information that documents the past year
- Synonyms: almanac, annual, class book
- Example: The Artists’ and Writers’ yearbooks were sold out here.
- Definition: the act of sailing on a yacht
- Synonyms: boating, cruising, sailing
- Example: There is a good era coming up; the whole scene of British yachting is looking good.
- Definition: a long haired ox used for milk and meat
- Synonyms: oxen, buffalo, cattle
- Example: Milk products were common in the form of sour cream and butter from cows and yaks.
- Definition: in Chinies philosophy, an active, positive force in the universe
- Synonyms: positivity, energy, masculinity
- Example: The slight chills are caused by weakness of the yang which follows injury to the yin.
- Definition: a stand of thread used for sweing, knitting and weaving
- Synonyms: fabric, wool, thread
- Example: The sheep’s wool will be spun into yarn.
- Definition: a person or thing closely linked or associated with another in some way, as a spouse, a workmate, etc.
- Synonyms: yokefellow
- Example: She is my life time yokemate.
Nouns That Start with Y You Sometimes Use
Let’s move on to nouns beginning with Y that are only used sometimes. You might also stumble across some unknown words in this section.
- Definition: the secondary or vertical axis of a system of coordinates, points along which have a value of zero for all other coordinates
- Synonyms: vertical axis
- Example: Independent quantites are mentioned on y-axis of a graph.
- Definition: a stupid, insane, or unpredictable person
- Synonyms: dodo, fool, halfwit
- Example: They think they’re tangling with some small-town yo-yos, but they’re not.
- Definition: someone who communicates vocally in a very loud voice
- Synonyms: bawler, roarer, screamer
- Example: Our math teacher is a yeller.
- Definition: a person who is proficient in yoga
- Synonyms: pandit, swami, mahatma
- Example: Yogis have universal vision and spiritual enlgihtment.
- Definition: last year or the recent past, especially as nostalgically recalled
- Synonyms: last year, past
- Example: We can’t return to those thrilling days of yesteryear
- Definition: a coniferous tree which has red berrylike fruits, and most parts of which are highly poisonous
- Synonyms: hornbeam, sycamore
- Example: In the middle of churchyard stand an old yew.
- Definition: a standard used for comparison
- Synonyms: standard, measure, gauge
- Example: The l eague tables are not the only yardstick of schools’ performance.
- Definition: a semi-solid food prepared from milk fermented by added bacteria, often sweetened and flavoured
- Synonyms: curd, yoghourt
- Example: I daily eat a bowl of low-fat yougurt.
- Definition: christimas
- Synonyms: xmas, noel, nativity y
- Example: I have such happy childhood memories of decorating the house for Yuletide.
- Definition: a fashionable young middle-class person with a well-paid job
- Synonyms: clone, white-collar worker
- Example: They are stereotypical 1980s yuppies obsessed with material objects and financial success
Nouns That Start with Y You Occasionally Use
Nouns are the backbone of any sentence so, it’s essential to be familiar with some infrequenly used words. Thus we’ll conver occasionally used noun words that start with Y in this list.
- Definition: a part of a sentence that is incomprehensible or unimportant
- Synonyms: gibberish, jabber, nonsense
- Example: He wasn’t going for distinctive topics: parenthood, coffee shops, mobile phones, yadda, yadda, yadda.
- Definition: a Japanese syndicate of organized criminals
- Synonyms: mob, mafia, gangsters
- Example: The newspaper said Japanese Yakuza are behind the import scams.
- Definition: a moist, orange-colored variety of sweet potato
- Synonyms: sweet potato, tuber, spud
- Example: In a clearing under a big tree, women squat peeling yams.
- Definition: a person born or living in New England or in the United States in general
- Synonyms: northerner, American, unionist
- Example: His first cousin, Mariano Rivera, is a Yankee.
- Definition: a measurement in yards
- Synonyms: distance, length
- Example: You’ll need a little over five to get the necessary yardage.
- Definition: a perennial plant with a strong smell and taste
- Synonyms: flower, plant, Achillea millefolium
- Example: Many herbs have had the power of curing all diseases attributed to them, yarrow is one of them.
- Definition: the motion of a vessel going back and forth along its path
- Synonyms: curve, swerve, turn
- Example: As the plane climbed to 370 feet, it started to yaw.
- Definition: a strong want
- Synonyms: craving, desire, hunger
- Example: Mike had a yen to try cycling.
- Definition: an attendant, servant, or assistant in England
- Synonyms: assistant, attendant, clerk
- Example: The yeoman was plowing the field on his master’s land.
- Definition: dried leaves and twigs of a plant native to South America used to make a caffeine-rich beverage
- Synonyms: holly, leaves, plant
- Example: This was Yerba Buena.
Nouns That Start with Y You Seldom Use
Let’s take a quick look at nouns that we seldom use during any casual or formal discussions. These nouns that start with the letter Y will help your writing style standout and make it discernible.
- Definition: a seminary for the training of Orthodox
- Synonyms: rabbisseminary, school, college
- Example: When they arrived back at the yeshiva they found the inside of the building destroyed and abandoned.
- Definition: a volunteer cavalry force raised from the yeoman
- Synonyms: territorial army, infantry
- Example: In someways this affluent proletariat viewed itself as a kind of modern yeomanry.
- Definition: a South American crocodilian (Jacare sclerops) resembling the alligator in size and habits
- Synonyms: spectacled alligator, spectacled cayman
- Example: We saw a yacare in the zoo.
- Definition: a large green and yellow woodpecker with a red crown and a laughing call, found from Europe to central Asia
- Synonyms: green woodpecker
- Example: I’ve never seen a yaffle in real life.
- Definition: a large Asiatic antelope ( Budorcas taxicolor ) native of the higher parts of the Himalayas and other lofty mountains
- Synonyms: budocras
- Example: The head and neck of yakin resemble those of ox.
- Definition: a young tramp
- Synonyms: hussy, tart, hoochie
- Example: Are you gonna bring a yamp to the party?
- Definition: a sudden hard pull
- Synonyms: jerk, pull, tug
- Example: One of the other girls gave her ponytail a yank.
- Definition: a small ship’s boat, usually rowed by four or six oars
- Synonyms: craft, vessel, barque
- Example: We travelled the water body with the help of yaul.
- Definition: a harsh or hoarse cry or yelp
- Synonyms: clamor, complain
- Example: The cur did not bark, other than a single yaup.
- Definition: a young fellow
- Synonyms: boy, lad, youngster
- Example: Since he is a younker, he can’t drink alcohol.
Nouns That Start with Y You Rarely Use
Due to infrequent use of these Y-nouns it’s important to carefully understand them and then use them in the most desireable way possible.
- Definition: a female sheep
- Synonyms: ewe
- Example: Two lambs followed their mother as the yowe leaped from one ledge to another.
- Definition: vomit
- Synonyms: puke, throw up
- Example: I feel like I am going to yop and I have been having this feeling all day.
- Definition: a unit of information equal to 1024 zebibytes
- Synonyms: YB, yottabyte, yobibyte
- Example: My computer can process 10YiB information in 10 seconds.
- Definition: something messy or disgusting
- Synonyms: yuk
- Example: I can’t bear the sight of blood and yuck.
- Definition: a veil concealing all of the face except the eyes, worn by some Muslim women in public
- Synonyms: mantilla, purdah
- Example: It is compulsory in come countries for women to wear yashmak.
- Definition: a cruel and brutal fellow
- Synonyms: bully, hooligan, roughneck
- Example: Jim is a yobo out to out.
- Definition: an uneducated and unsophisticated person from the countryside
- Synonyms: bumpkin, rustic, countryman
- Example: He treats his best friend as some kin of yokel.
- Definition: a Eurasian plant with feathery leaves and heads of small white or pale pink aromatic flowers, which has long been used in herbal medicine
- Synonyms: milfoil, carline, hawthorn
- Example: Yarrow plant is essential for making some herbal medicine.
- Definition: a song, melody, or call delivered by yodelling
- Synonyms: tune, track
- Example: He heard a yodel from below.
- Definition: a young person or animal
- Synonyms: kiddo, kid, youth
- Example: The deer searched everywhere but was not able to find her youngling.
Positive Nouns That Start with Y
A requisite part of pleasing and peaceful communication is the use of positive nouns. Therefore, let’s have a look at a few of positive nouns that start with Y.
- Definition: the far distance
- Synonyms: beyond, distant, farther
- Example: The house that you are looking for is over yonder.
- Definition: an item of food that is particularly delicious
- Synonyms: delicious, flavourful, delectable
- Example: The bakery window was full of yummies.
- Definition: a vote supporting a particular plan of action
- Synonyms: affirmation, assurance
- Example: He was answering all the questions with assured and ardent yeses.
- Definition: a financial return
- Synonyms: profit, gain, return
- Example: Yields on electricity shares are consistently high.
- Definition: gift
- Synonyms: offering, present, present
- Example: He bought me a yift of my own choice.
- Definition: a youth
- Synonyms: youngster, successors
- Example: The young individuals are the future of humanity.
- Definition: behaviour or appearance characteristic of young people
- Synonyms: greenness, liveliness
- Example: I have nothing against miniskirts, but I think they’re strictly for the young.
- Definition: expression of excitement
- Synonyms: wahoo, yippee
- Example: She have a loud yahoo on winning the first prize.
- Definition: short cry of delight or excitement
- Synonyms: yippee
- Example: He gave a yip of delight.
- Definition: highest rank in sumo wrestling
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Nobody was able to defeat the former Yokozuna.
Nouns That Start with Y – Full List (237 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with Y
Since the nouns beginning with Y are a bit enigmatic and baffling, it is sensible to use these nouns with great care. We made sure to keep exmples and synonyms as plain as possible but if you still weren’t able to comprehend any of these nouns starting with Y, please tell us about it in the comment section along with any nouns that start with Y which are not a part of this list but play an important role in your daily routine.
We hope you’ll be able to boost your communication expertise after analyzing and studying this list.
Ps. See also positive words that start with Y, adjectives that start with Y and verbs that start with Y.