Nouns that start with L are extremely important and widely used in our daily communication. For example, I believe you often use or hear these nouns starting with L in sentences or phrases like “Good luck”, “Have lunch”, “There is a young lady”. So if you want significant improvement in your English language, read carefully the nouns that start with L we prepared for you.
Of course, since nouns beginning with L are very common in the English language, it is difficult to mention all of them with details in one article. But I am confident here are enough nouns that start with L to help you speak English language comfortably, including nouns that start with L to describe a person, place, or event. So what are you waiting for? Let’s improve our vocabulary.
As mentioned above, this article has a list of nouns that start with L that you will find useful. The words range from being easy to hard so that they are easy to memorize depending on your level! So keep on reading, fellow humans.
Nouns That Start with L You Always Use
If you want nouns that start with L and are very easy and common, then check this section out. You might already use some of these words, or you might be surprised by the others.
- Definition: success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one’s own actions
- Synonyms: felicity, advantage
- Example: Mina doesn’t depend on her luck only in order to accomplish any task.
- Definition: the part of the earth’s surface that is not covered by water
- Synonyms: coast, shore
- Example: The reptiles lay their eggs on land.
- Definition: the principal method of human communication, consisting of words used in a structured and conventional way and conveyed by speech, writing, or gesture
- Synonyms: dialect, speech
- Example: Charlie knows many different languages.
- Definition: a number of connected items or names written, or printed consecutively, typically one below the other
- Synonyms: record, file
- Example: My dad gave me a shopping list.
- Definition: the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country
- Synonyms: chief, principal, head
- Example: Harry is the leader of our sports club.
- Definition: each of the limbs on which a person or animal walks, and stands
- Synonyms: shank, peg
- Example: Felton broke his leg.
- Definition: a pale yellow oval citrus fruit with thick skin and fragrant
- Synonyms: citron, lime
- Example: My mom likes to add lemon to her foods.
- Definition: a written, typed, or printed communication, sent in an envelope by post, or messenger
- Synonyms: message, note
- Example: I have just got a letter from my friend.
- Definition: a building, or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films, and recorded music for use, or borrowing by the public, or the members of an institution
- Synonyms: atheneum, book room
- Example: The library is my favorite place.
- Definition: the condition that distinguishes animals, and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death
- Synonyms: existence, creation, entity
- Example: Everyone wants to be successful in life.
Nouns That Start with L You Usually Use
These words might not be used every day but they are known by almost everyone. So keep on reading for nouns starting with L that are used usually.
- Definition: a particular place or position
- Synonyms: site, spot, locality
- Example: The hotel is in a beautiful location.
- Definition: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
- Synonyms: argumentation, dialectics
- Example: Her logic is undeniable in this regard.
- Definition: a man of noble rank or high office
- Synonyms: aristocrat, a nobleman
- Example: He is the youngest son of that lord.
- Definition: a particular group, or set of people, or things
- Synonyms: crowd, crew, bunch
- Example: It’s just one lot of rich people stealing from another.
- Definition: a large area of water surrounded by land
- Synonyms: pool, pond, reservoir
- Example: Boys were swimming in the lake.
- Definition: a meal eaten in the middle of the day, typically one that is lighter or less formal than an evening meal
- Synonyms: luncheon, buffet
- Example: My sister always likes to take light lunch.
- Definition: the fact, or process of losing something, or someone
- Synonyms: impoverishment, deprivation, erosion
- Example: Hair loss is becoming common for me nowadays.
- Definition: a thing that is borrowed, especially a sum of money that is expected to be paid back with interest
- Synonyms: credit, mortgage
- Example: She applied for a loan to buy a car.
- Definition: written works, especially those considered of superior, or lasting artistic merit
- Synonyms: compositions, letters
- Example: He knows a lot about English literature.
- Definition: the system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties
- Synonyms: constitution, charter
- Example: Everyone must obey the law strictly.
Nouns That Start with L You Often Use
Are there some words that you hear all the time? Well, they will be summarized in this section. The section has nouns starting with L that are used very often.
- Definition: a polite or formal way of referring to a woman
- Synonyms: female, lass
- Example: She is a beautiful lady.
- Definition: a small piece of paper, fabric, plastic, or similar material attached to an object and giving information about it
- Synonyms: ticket, tag, sticker
- Example: The alcohol content is clearly stated on the label.
- Definition: the state of being without or not having enough of something
- Synonyms: deficiency, shortage
- Example: My brother has a lack of confidence in English.
- Definition: an extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field
- Synonyms: celebrity, icon, star
- Example: She is a legend.
- Definition: the measurement or extent of something from end to end, the greater of two, or the greatest of three dimensions of an object
- Synonyms: distance, range, span
- Example: The boat is ten meters in length.
- Definition: a position on a scale of amount, quantity, extent, or quality
- Synonyms: measure, degree
- Example: Our country has a high level of unemployment.
- Definition: the natural agent that stimulates sight and makes things visible
- Synonyms: illumination, luminosity
- Example: The light of the sun makes everything around us bright.
- Definition: a long, narrow mark, or band
- Synonyms: score, rule
- Example: A row of closely spaced dots will look like a continuous line.
- Definition: a relationship between two things, or situations, especially where one affects the other
- Synonyms: connection, association
- Example: There is a link between these two cases.
- Definition: a heavy or bulky thing that is being carried or is about to be carried
- Synonyms: cargo, freight
- Example: The truck carried a load of up to eighty pounds.
Nouns That Start with L You Sometimes Use
The nouns beginning with L below are used by people sometimes. They can be used in poetry, stories, or even during day-to-day conversations.
- Definition: a symbol or other small design adopted by an organization to identify its products, uniform, vehicles, etc.
- Synonyms: trademark, sign
- Example: The Olympic logo was emblazoned across the tracksuits
- Definition: a sheet, quantity, or thickness of the material, typically one of several, covering a surface, or body
- Synonyms: coating, surface
- Example: There was a thin layer of oil on the surface of the water.
- Definition: the action of leading a group of people, or an organization
- Synonyms: guidance, direction, authority
- Example: Different persons have different styles of leadership.
- Definition: a material made from the skin of an animal by tanning, or a similar process
- Synonyms: skin, hide
- Example: My brother likes leather jackets.
- Definition: a permit from an authority to own, or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade
- Synonyms: certificate, document, warrant
- Example: My brother has a car license.
- Definition: a piece of equipment consisting of a series of bars, or steps between two upright lengths of wood, metal, or rope, used for climbing up or down something
- Synonyms: stairway, rung
- Example: That ladder doesn’t look safe.
- Definition: a shape produced by a curve that bends around and crosses itself
- Synonyms: bend, curve
- Example: You have to tie the ends of the rope in a loop.
- Definition: equipment in a room, building, or street for producing light
- Synonyms: brightness, flame
- Example: Fluorescent bulbs were brought for street lighting.
- Definition: a room, or building equipped for scientific experiments, research, or teaching, or for the manufacture of drugs, or chemicals
- Synonyms: science lab, research room
- Example: My brother works in a laboratory.
- Definition: work, especially physical work
- Synonyms: employment, exertion
- Example: Robert was paid for his labor.
Nouns That Start with L You Occasionally Use
The words in this section are very specific so can only be used on special occasions. Therefore, keep on reading these noun words that start with L to improve your language skills.
- Definition: all the visible features of an area of land, often considered in terms of their aesthetic appeal
- Synonyms: scenery, countryside
- Example: The soft colors of the Northumbrian landscape is really amazing.
- Definition: a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules.
- Synonyms: luminescence, radiation
- Example: The laser beam heals the eyes painlessly.
- Definition: a collection of people, countries, or groups that combine for mutual protection or cooperation
- Synonyms: alliance, federation
- Example: The League of Nations saved the world.
- Definition: a device for giving light, either one consisting of an electric bulb together with its holder and shade, or cover, or one burning gas, or oil, and consisting of a wick, or mantle, and a glass shade
- Synonyms: light, torch
- Example: Flora loves beautiful lamps.
- Definition: the duration of a person’s life
- Synonyms: lifespan, existence
- Example: She was given a reward for a lifetime’s work.
- Definition: a lamp with a transparent case protecting the flame or electric bulb and typically having a handle by which it may be carried or hung
- Synonyms: light, beam
- Example: Clara loves lanterns.
- Definition: the action or sound of laughing
- Synonyms: chuckling, chortling
- Example: She roared with laughter.
- Definition: clothes and linen that need to be washed or that have been newly washed
- Synonyms: washing, wash
- Example: She went outside to hang some laundry on the line.
- Definition: a person who practices, or studies law, especially (in the UK) a solicitor or a barrister, or (in the US) an attorney
- Synonyms: attorney, agent
- Example: She wants to be a lawyer.
- Definition: the act of setting someone free from imprisonment, slavery, or oppression
- Synonyms: freeing, release, discharge
- Example: She worked for the liberation of slaves.
Nouns That Start with L You Seldom Use
The nouns that start with the letter L in this section are very useful when trying to impress someone through your writing or speaking.
- Definition: a passionate expression of grief, or sorrow
- Synonyms: wail, moan, groan
- Example: His mother’s night-long laments for his father were unbearable.
- Definition: a set of clothing, bedclothes, and sometimes toiletries for a newborn child
- Synonyms: outfit, kit
- Example: Flora had made an elaborate layette for her baby.
- Definition: an area of short, regularly mown grass in the garden of a house, or park
- Synonyms: terrace, plot
- Example: She was sitting in a deckchair on the lawn.
- Definition: the active immature form of an insect, especially one that differs greatly from the adult, and forms the stage between egg, and pupa, e.g., a caterpillar or grub
- Synonyms: worm, egg
- Example: The larvae pierce the vessels of the plant with sharp processes.
- Definition: scope for freedom of action or thought
- Synonyms: leeway, space
- Example: Journalists have considerable latitude in criticizing public figures.
- Definition: a person who is honored with an award for outstanding creative or intellectual achievement
- Synonyms: eminent, glorious
- Example: He was a Nobel laureate in physics.
- Definition: a person who makes laws
- Synonyms: lawmaker, politician
- Example: Statutes went unread by the legislators who passed them.
- Definition: a deputy or substitute acting for a superior
- Synonyms: deputy, assistant
- Example: She is one of the Prime minister’s most trusted lieutenants.
- Definition: a state of great comfort or elegance, especially when involving great expense
- Synonyms: opulence, grandeur
- Example: Lara lived a life of luxury.
- Definition: a narrow road, especially in a rural area
- Synonyms: path, way
- Example: She drove along the winding lane.
Nouns That Start with L You Rarely Use
The following L-nouns are very rare. You seldom hear or read these words, but if you know their meaning, you might be the only one to understand them among your peers!
- Definition: a medicine that has a laxative effect
- Synonyms: purgative, aperient
- Example: He may prescribe a laxative to ease the congestion.
- Definition: an object, or feature of a landscape, or town that is easily seen and recognized from a distance, especially one that enables someone to establish their location
- Synonyms: indicator, signal
- Example: The spire was once a landmark for ships sailing up the river.
- Definition: a structure consisting of strips of wood, or metal crossed, and fastened together with square, or diamond-shaped spaces left between, used as a screen, or fence, or as a support for climbing plants
- Synonyms: grid, fretwork
- Example: Honeysuckle was growing up a lattice around the door.
- Definition: a stretch of saltwater separated from the sea by a low sandbank or coral reef
- Synonyms: bay, seacoast
- Example: On the western side, there is a large lagoon, separated from the sea by the spit of sand.
- Definition: the state of being legally responsible for something
- Synonyms: accountability, answerability
- Example: He denies any liability for the damage caused.
- Definition: a person who is brave and determined
- Synonyms: valiant, courageous
- Example: Half of Twickenham saluted the old lionheart on his retirement.
- Definition: a supporter of a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise
- Synonyms: tolerant, lenient
- Example: Classical liberals emphasized the right of the individual to make decisions, even if the results dismayed their neighbors or injured themselves
- Definition: a contract by which one party conveys land, property, services, etc., to another for a specified time, usually in return for a periodic payment.
- Synonyms: charter. contract
- Example: He has the house on a long lease.
- Definition: a part of the trunk or a large branch of a tree that has fallen or been cut off
- Synonyms: branch, bole
- Example: She tripped over a fallen log.
- Definition: a very powerful feeling of wanting something
- Synonyms: desire, passion
- Example: Monica has a lust for power and money.
Positive Nouns That Start with L
Using the following positive nouns that start with L will make you happy. Not only are they easy but also very wholesome, so go on and memorize the following words.
- Definition: a period of learning or teaching
- Synonyms: class, session
- Example: Flora gives French lessons.
- Definition: the power or scope to act as one pleases.
- Synonyms: freedom, independence
- Example: Individuals should enjoy the liberty to pursue their own preferences.
- Definition: the way in which a person lives
- Synonyms: condition, position
- Example: Sarah leads a healthy lifestyle.
- Definition: an intense feeling of deep affection
- Synonyms: warmth, fondness, tenderness
- Example: Babies fill parents with feelings of love.
- Definition: a feeling of regard or fondness
- Synonyms: affection, attachment
- Example: Clara has a liking for hot chocolate.
- Definition: an income sufficient to live on, or the means of earning it
- Synonyms: livelihood, subsistence
- Example: My brother sells his paintings for a living.
- Definition: something done for fun, especially something mischievous or daring
- Synonyms: amusement, prank
- Example: I went along for a lark.
- Definition: a point or level beyond which something does not, or may not extend, or pass
- Synonyms: restriction, control
- Example: The failure showed the limits of their power.
- Definition: a time when one is not working or occupied
- Synonyms: relaxation, recreation
- Example: Mark spends his leisure time drawing pictures.
- Definition: a strong feeling of support or allegiance
- Synonyms: fidelity, faithfulness
- Example: Her loyalty to Markian is really impressive.
Nouns That Start with L – Full List (353 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with L
These were all the nouns starting with L that could be summarized in the article. You never stop learning no matter how old you get, so memorize these nouns beginning with L despite your age! Make sure to read all of them along with their meaning and synonyms to improve your English vocabulary permanently. If you do, you will be able to use them in your everyday vocabulary, which will make you even more fluent in the language.
Lastly, thank you for reading this article with nouns that start with L as if you learned even one word from here; it is a success for us! Good luck in becoming an expert in the English language.