107 Nouns That Start with K [with Definitions and Examples]
Nouns that start with K are included in this article. There are numerous nouns starting with K that you use on a daily basis. But there are also numerous nouns beginning with I that you don’t even know to exist. It’s nuts, don’t you think? It is impossible to complete any writing project without using nouns that start with K.
Nouns are what help complete a sentence properly and make sense. I have probably used nouns countless times while writing this article. Want to know something interesting about the letter K? You will never find any number that has the letter k in it. No matter how high you count. It’s fascinating, right?
This article contains a list of nouns that start with K that you may use on a different basis. Some of the nouns that start with K to describe a person are also included.
Nouns That Start with K You Always Use
I am sure you definitely use nouns on a daily basis whether it is to read, write, or speak. These are some nouns that start with K that you may always use and are familiar with.
- Definition: a bearlike arboreal Australian marsupial that has thick grey fur and feeds on eucalyptus leaves
- Synonyms: opossum, native bear, phalanger
- Example: The koala clung to a eucalyptus.
- Definition: a large plant-eating marsupial with a long powerful tail and strongly developed hindlimbs that enable it to travel by leaping, found only in Australia and New Guinea
- Synonyms: wallaby, marsupial
- Example: The kangaroo has a fast turn of speed.
- Definition: a native or inhabitant of North or South Korea, or a person of Korean descent.
- Synonyms: han-gook, Korean- peninsula
- Example: He is a Korean guy.
- Definition: a medium to the large long-winged bird of prey which typically has a forked tail and frequently soars on updraughts of air
- Synonyms: hawk, Milvus migrans
- Example: I saw a kite last Monday.
- Definition: a room or area where food is prepared and cooked
- Synonyms: galley, cookhouse, bakehouse
- Example: The kitchen was redolent of onions.
- Definition: a set of keys on a piano or similar musical instrument
- Synonyms: terminal, clavier, keypad
- Example: She plays keyboards and guitar.
- Definition: a person or thing that kills
- Synonyms: murderer, destroyer, liquidator
- Example: There’s a killer on the loose.
- Definition: nature or temperament
- Synonyms: adrenal, pelvis, nephron
- Example: I hoped that he would not have a similar kidney.
- Definition: an instrument composed of a blade fixed into a handle, used for cutting or as a weapon
- Synonyms: blade, cutter, carver
- Example: He placed a knife at her neck.
- Definition: the SI unit of mass (equivalent to approximately 2.205 lb), first introduced as a unit of mass for the metric system
- Synonyms: weight unit, hectogram, kg
- Example: In response, the bear weighing 270 kilograms struck the man.
Nouns That Start with K You Usually Use
Nouns are an inseparable part of our everyday life, don’t you think? Here are some nouns starting with K that we all usually end up using and are quite familiar with as well.
- Definition: a container or device in which water is boiled, having a lid, spout, and handle
- Synonyms: pot, teakettle, boiler
- Example: The kettle must be boiling.
- Definition: a small piece of shaped metal with incisions cut to fit the wards of a particular lock, which is inserted into a lock and turned to open or close it
- Synonyms: shank, stem, passkey
- Example: There were two keys to the cupboard.
- Definition: strong cotton or wool fabric of a dull brownish-yellow color, used especially in military clothing
- Synonyms: textile, material, fabric
- Example: He was dressed from head to toe in khaki.
- Definition: a smooth sauce made chiefly from tomatoes and vinegar, used as a relish
- Synonyms: condiment, catsup
- Example: There’s a spot of ketchup on the tablecloth.
- Definition: a device that is used to hold keys and that usually consists of a metal ring, a short chain, and sometimes a small decoration
- Synonyms: pendant, trinket, keyring
- Example: A keychain with light is held over a spectator’s hand.
- Definition: a sharing of characteristics or origins
- Synonyms: relation, sympathy, affinity
- Example: They felt a kinship with architects.
- Definition: A young person of either sex
- Synonyms: youngster, child, urchin
- Example: The fire was accidentally started by a couple of kids fooling around.
- Definition: a small shelter for a dog
- Synonyms: outbuilding, doghouse, shelter
- Example: I put my dog in kennels if I go away.
- Definition: a person or animal that kicks
- Synonyms: punter, placekicker, dropkicker
- Example: The horses were either biters or kickers.
- Definition: a person who abducts someone and holds them captive, typically to obtain a ransom
- Synonyms: criminal, outlaw, seizer
- Example: He was released by his kidnappers on May 30.
Nouns That Start with K You Often Use
We always have some words that use less than others. Just like that, there are some words that we often use but not on a regular basis. These are some of those nouns starting with K.
- Definition: a pressurized metal barrel with a valve at one end, used to store and dispense beer or other carbonated drinks
- Synonyms: barrel, cask
- Example: Beer is deliciously pumped from a keg.
- Definition: a small hill or mound
- Synonyms: hump, tor, mound
- Example: There are approximately 28 knolls: small pyramids buried, in which no archaeological work has been made.
- Definition: a canoe of a type used originally by the Inuit, made of a light frame with a watertight covering having a small opening in the top to sit-in
- Synonyms: coracle, bateau, dink
- Example: The lakes are used to learn to kayak.
- Definition: a garment resembling a knee-length skirt of pleated tartan cloth, traditionally worn by men as part of Scottish Highland dress and now also worn by women and girls
- Synonyms: skirt, pannier
- Example: Ben refuses to wear a kilt to the ceremony.
- Definition: a small, simple musical instrument consisting of a hollow pipe with a hole in it, over which is a thin covering that vibrates and adds a buzzing sound when the player sings or hums into the pipe
- Synonyms: wind, harmonica, panpipe
- Example: He enjoyed playing the kazoo in the pulpit.
- Definition: a softer, usually edible part of a nut, seed, or fruit stone contained within its shell
- Synonyms: grain, core, stone
- Example: There’s a kernel of truth in what he said.
- Definition: an illicit payment made to someone in return for facilitating a transaction or appointment
- Synonyms: bribe, payment, reward
- Example: The ruling party depends on contributions and kickbacks.
- Definition: a country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen
- Synonyms: realm, domain, nation
- Example: Her kingdom stretched for thousands of miles.
- Definition: a sudden involuntary reflex kick caused by a blow on the tendon just below the knee
- Synonyms: automatic, instinctive, mechanic
- Example: Apart from involuntary knee-jerks, it’s the mind that rules.
- Definition: playfulness or teasing
- Synonyms: mocking, ribbing, humor
- Example: They could be insufferable when the kidding began.
Nouns That Start with K You Sometimes Use
We all have those words that pop up in our minds from time to time, right? Here are some nouns beginning with K that you might sometimes end up using.
- Definition: the side of a road or pavement that is nearer to the kerb
- Synonyms: recycling, twin-bin, multi-materials
- Example: He pulled up the van at the kerbside.
- Definition: garment made of a knitted fabric
- Synonyms: wollen, wolly
- Example: Be warm and chic in cozy cashmere knits.
- Definition: a form of entertainment, offered typically by bars and clubs, in which people take turns to sing popular songs into a microphone over prerecorded backing tracks
- Synonyms: entertainment, singing, music
- Example: The ditties were belted out by participants in the town’s attempt to set a world record for karaoke singing.
- Definition: a prevailing tone or central theme
- Synonyms: theme, point
- Example: Individuality is the keynote of the Nineties.
- Definition: a person or thing that is essential to the success of an organization or operation
- Synonyms: bolt, swivel pin
- Example: The kingpins of the television industry.
- Definition: a toy consisting of a tube containing mirrors and pieces of colored glass or paper, whose reflections produce changing patterns when the tube is rotated
- Synonyms: plaything, toy
- Example: The kaleidoscope fractures the vision of a single object or scene into a multitude of different but interrelated forms of the same.
- Definition: an extremely attractive or impressive person or thing
- Synonyms: beauty, vision, picture
- Example: He must have been a knockout when he was young.
- Definition: food, clothes, and other essentials for living
- Synonyms: maintenance, support, sustenance
- Example: The Society is paying for your keep.
- Definition: a unit of weight for precious stones and pearls, equivalent to 200 milligrams
- Synonyms: unit of measurement, carat
- Example: She bought a half-karat diamond ring.
- Definition: a set of articles or equipment needed for a specific purpose
- Synonyms: equipment, tools, implements
- Example: I bought a new cycle repair kit.
Nouns That Start with K You Occasionally Use
There are certain nouns that are not that common, so we end up using them occasionally. These are some noun words that start with K that you occasionally use.
- Definition: continuing or operating without problems or sudden changes
- Synonyms: trend, stability
- Example: High oil prices are making it difficult to keep the economy and inflation on an even keel.
- Definition: a paradoxical anecdote or riddle without a solution, used in Zen Buddhism to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and provoke enlightenment
- Synonyms: contradiction, anomaly, enigma
- Example: The zen koan is a condensation of one quoted.
- Definition: a small falcon that hovers with rapidly beating wings while searching for prey on the ground
- Synonyms: falco, sparrow hawk
- Example: We saw the kestrels perched on the large tree outside the center.
- Definition: a furnace or oven for burning, baking, or drying, especially one for calcining lime or firing pottery
- Synonyms: muffle, oast, furnace
- Example: The bricks are left in the kiln to bake.
- Definition: praise and honor received for an achievement
- Synonyms: prestige, glory, standing
- Example: She was looking for kudos rather than profit.
- Definition: destiny; fate
- Synonyms: fortune, providence, luck
- Example: What chance did I stand against kismet?
- Definition: practical knowledge or skill; expertise
- Synonyms: proficiency, understanding, accomplishment
- Example: I don’t have the technical know-how to repair a computer.
- Definition: a small open-fronted hut or cubicle from which newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc. are sold
- Synonyms: stand, stall, booth
- Example: There’s a newspaper kiosk in the station.
- Definition: an electric horn or warning hooter.
- Synonyms: horn, an alarm bell
- Example: The tug blew its klaxon three times.
- Definition: a clumsy, awkward, or foolish person
- Synonyms: oaf, ape, hulk
- Example: I’m a complete klutz on the dance floor.
Nouns That Start with K You Seldom Use
These are some nouns that start with the letter K that you seldom use. Read this article when you are out of words and might need some help to use some nouns for your writing.
- Definition: a tub or vat for holding liquid, especially in brewing or bleaching
- Synonyms: spa, cistern
- Example: A tube ran from her neck to the keeve of blood on the floor.
- Definition: one’s friends, acquaintances, and relations
- Synonyms: agent, mentor
- Example: I had a reunion today with all my kith and kin.
- Definition: an Indian homespun cotton cloth
- Synonyms: material, fabric, textile
- Example: Her plain khadi sari.
- Definition: A metric unit of length equal to 1000 meters (or 0.621371 miles).
- Synonyms: myriametre, hectometre
- Example: About 200 klicks northwest of Moscow.
- Definition: an ulcerated chilblain, especially one on the heel
- Synonyms: pernio, chilblain
- Example: In the second half, one’s kibe worsened and finally burst.
- Definition: loose-fitting breeches gathered at the knee or calf
- Synonyms: breachers, trousers
- Example: By this time the outfit had changed to magenta with navy knickerbockers.
- Definition: the crest of a hill
- Synonyms: boast, abate, carve
- Example: A pathway winding around the knap of a green hill.
- Definition: (in South Africa) a steep-sided, wooded ravine or valley
- Synonyms: canyon, flume, gap
- Example: The kloof between the mountain and Lion’s Head is of singular beauty.
- Definition: the citadel of a North African city
- Synonyms: quarter, armpit, borough
- Example: A town dominated by its ancient kasbah.
- Definition: a knot or protuberance on a tree trunk or root
- Synonyms: bump, swelling
- Example: Dean waited, a knar forming in his stomach.
Nouns That Start with K You Rarely Use
Some nouns are not as commonly used so there are many people who don’t even know they exist. Then here are some of those K-nouns that you might rarely use.
- Definition: government by those who seek chiefly status and personal gain at the expense of the governed
- Synonyms: kleptarchy, absolutism
- Example: At his urging, Russians gathered in the street from coast to coast to protest the kleptocracy.
- Definition: a persistent neurotic impulse to steal especially without economic motive
- Synonyms: criminal, pilferer, shoplifter
- Example: The play takes the time to introduce their respective demons — alcoholism, kleptomania, and violence, among them — then moves on with little resolution.
- Definition: an orange-like fruit related to the citruses, with an edible sweet rind and acid pulp
- Synonyms: compote, caramelize, pistachio
- Example: As part of the ritual, everyone carries the kumquats to the table.
- Definition: a large brown seaweed that typically has a long, tough stalk with a broad frond divided into strips
- Synonyms: fucus, mussel, dulse
- Example: This sea urchin decimates kelp beds and creates barrens, thus completely altering coastal ecosystems.
- Definition: a hardy cabbage of a variety that produces erect stems with large leaves and no compact head
- Synonyms: crucifer, brassica
- Example: We grow kail that lasts through the winter.
- Definition: a sharp twist or curve in something that is otherwise straight.
- Synonyms: curl, twist, wave
- Example: There was a kink in the pipe.
- Definition: a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views
- Synonyms: splash, upheaval, turmoil
- Example: There was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship.
- Definition: the ancient Jewish tradition of mystical interpretation of the Bible, first transmitted orally and using esoteric methods (including ciphers). It reached the height of its influence in the later Middle Ages and remains significant in Hasidism
- Synonyms: arcanum, secret
- Example: Mangel says the Kabbalah is the basis for everything he teaches.
- Definition: trousers
- Synonyms: knickers, underpants
- Example: How do they walk in those skintight kecks?
- Definition: A mass or lump of fat rolled up by the butcher
- Synonyms: rubbish, trash
- Example: Maybe this keech about ‘microclimate’ was true.
Positive Nouns That Start with K
There are so many positive nouns that start with K that we might need from time to time. Then here are some positive nouns that might help you when needed.
- Definition: (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences
- Synonyms: fate, destiny
- Example: I hope I’m around to see karma coming back on you.
- Definition: facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject
- Synonyms: comprehension, understanding, grip
- Example: A thirst for knowledge.
- Definition: touch or caress with the lips
- Synonyms: peck, smack, snog
- Example: He placed a quick kiss on the cheek.
- Definition: relationship by blood
- Synonyms: relationship, consanguinity, relatedness
- Example: ties of kindred.
- Definition: (in the Middle Ages) a man who served his sovereign or lord as a mounted soldier in armor
- Synonyms: cavalier, gallant, horseman
- Example: You were my knight in shining armor.
- Definition: ideal perfect beauty
- Synonyms: exquisiteness, radiance
- Example: The kalon trip gaining greater international recognition could ultimately put pressure on Beijing to moderate its policies within Tibet itself.
- Definition: an important person; the person in charge
- Synonyms: celebrity, dignity, star
- Example: One big kahuna runs the whole show.
- Definition: a joint of meat consisting of the knuckle of an animal together with the adjoining parts
- Synonyms: diarthrosis, finger
- Example: This is a knuckle of pork.
- Definition: The quality of being eager or enthusiastic; eagerness
- Synonyms: eagerness, desire, wish
- Example: He has expressed his keenness to retain his job.
- Definition: a small item kept in memory of the person who gave it or originally owned it
- Synonyms: memento, reminder, souvenir
- Example: She was wearing the medal he gave her as a keepsake.
Nouns That Start with K – Full List (107 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with K
Congratulations on finishing the article. What do you think? Did you find some new verbs starting with K? There are hundreds of nouns that we might not be aware of. After reading this article containing nouns beginning with K, I hope you learned at least one new word. There are some words that are not as common as others, and so they are rarely used. On the contrary, there are some nouns that start with K and are very commonly known to everyone.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article. Come back to it if you are ever in need of some nouns that start with K.
Ps. See also positive words that start with K, adjectives that start with K and verbs that start with K.