Most of the nouns that start with V are not conventionally a part of our routine but that doesn’t mean that we can’t use these nouns to heighten our writing and communication skills. Most of these nouns beginning with V can also be used to incorporate a formal tone in our writing which could prove beneficial in a business environment. However, we have also included some commonly used nouns that start with V for casual dialogue with your friends and family.
Almost anyone can use nouns to name something, or express an idea but it takes a certain proficiency level of English to use right nouns at the right time. And these nouns starting with V, will help you advance toward your goal of becoming an individual with unique and impressive writing style. In this list we’ll go over the definitions, synonyms and examples of nouns. In addition, we have also included nouns that start with V to describe a person, positive nouns and much more. So, let’s see what new words are awaiting us in this list of nouns that start with V.
Table of Contents
Nouns That Start with V You Always Use
Why not commence this list with nouns that start with V which we always use while communicating with others? So, let’s look at a few of these nouns that start with V.
- Definition: an instance of vibrating
- Synonym: quiver, shake, trembling
- Example: The vibration of the window woke me up.
- Definition: the freedom from some activity
- Synonym: holiday, annulment
- Example: Summer vacations is just one month away.
- Definition: a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease
- Synonym: immunization, serum, shot
- Example: There is no vaccine against the virus.
- Definition: a low area of land between hills or mountains, typically with a river or stream flowing through it
- Synonym: dale, vale, depression
- Example: A few farms were dotted about in the valley.
- Definition: a substance diffused or suspended in the air, especially one normally liquid or solid
- Synonym: haze, mist, smoke
- Example: Dense clouds of smoke and toxic vapors were visible in the sky.
- Definition: an element, feature, or factor that is liable to vary or change
- Synonym:changeable, flexible, alterable
- Example: There are too many variables involved to make any meaningful predictions.
- Definition: a plant or part of a plant used as food, such as a cabbage, potato, turnip, or bean
- Synonym: legume, edible, salad
- Example: Many people are now buying organic vegetables.
- Definition: a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, lorry, or cart
- Synonym: automobile, conveyance
- Example: The vehicle was sent skidding across the road.
- Definition: the process of establishing the truth, accuracy, or validity of something
- Synonym: confirmation, corroboration, attestation
- Example: The university waited for verification of the student’s SAT scores and final GPA before admitting her for fall semester.
- Definition: an act of defeating an enemy or opponent in a battle, game, or other competition.
- Synonym: success, triumph, win
- Example: Joe loses no time claiming his victory.
Nouns That Start with V You Usually Use
Due to cultural and environmental factors, some nouns are used repeatedly while others are not. In this section, we’ll go through nouns starting with V that are usually practiced while writing.
- Definition: the recording, reproducing, or broadcasting of moving visual images
- Synonym: film, video tape
- Example: She could post videos of the event on the internet.
- Definition: a sight or prospect, typically of attractive natural scenery, that can be taken in by the eye from a particular place
- Synonym: outlook, prospect, panorama
- Example: We can have a fine view of the castle from this place.
- Definition: a group of lines that form a unit in a poem or song
- Synonym: stanza, strophe, couplet
- Example: The second verse is sung the same way as the first.
- Definition: a sour liquid formed by the fermentation of alcohol
- Synonym: vinaigrette, balsamic vinegar
- Example: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
- Definition: an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country
- Synonym: accord, acceptance, affirming
- Example: He handed his Visa card back to the cashier.
- Definition: an act of going to see a person or place as a guest, tourist, etc.
- Synonym: call
- Example: I’ll pay him a visit soon.
- Definition: the faculty or state of being able to see
- Synonym: eyesight, sight, view
- Example: She had defective vision.
- Definition: the body of words used in a particular language
- Synonym: lexicon, dictionary, lexis
- Example: Their vocabulary is far more formal than the others.
- Definition: a group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area
- Synonym: bourg, hamlet, townlet
- Example: Tom ran back to the village.
- Definition: the state of being thick, sticky, and semi-fluid in consistency, due to internal friction
- Synonym: thickness, adhesiveness, viscidness
- Example: Cooling the fluid raises its viscosity.
Nouns That Start with V You Often Use
Since there is a long list of nouns starting with V, we divided these nouns into three subcategories of always, usually, and often used. In this section, we’ll review the nouns starting with V which we often use.
- Definition: an electromotive force or potential difference expressed in volts
- Synonym: emf, electric potential, charge
- Example: The safe voltage for most glass jars is about 20,000 volts for glass.
- Definition: behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something
- Synonym: brutality, roughness, ferocity
- Example: Police records attest to his long history of violence.
- Definition: the amount of space that a substance or object occupies, or that is enclosed within a container
- Synonym: capacity, size, magnitude
- Example: The sewer could not cope with the volume of rainwater.
- Definition: a person visiting someone or somewhere, especially socially or as a tourist
- Synonym: guest, caller, visitant
- Example: She’s a frequent visitor to London.
- Definition: a particular form of something differing in certain respects from an earlier form or other forms of the same type of thing
- Synonym: sort, kind, type
- Example: A revised version of the paper was produced for a later meeting.
- Definition: the importance, worth, or usefulness of something
- Synonym: merit, worth, usefulness
- Example: Your support is of great value.
- Definition: an act of giving or registering a vote
- Synonym: poll, election, ballot
- Example: They are ready to put it to a vote.
- Definition: a bluish-purple color seen at the end of the spectrum opposite red
- Synonym: plum, lilac, violaceous
- Example: She shifted her violet gaze to Isabel.
- Definition: any of a group of organic compounds which are essential for normal growth and nutrition and are required in small quantities in the diet because they cannot be synthesized by the body
- Synonym: nourishment, minerals, protein
- Example: Most people can get all the vitamins they need from a healthy diet.
- Definition: a mountain or hill, typically conical, having a crater or vent through which lava, rock fragments, hot vapour, and gas are or have been erupted from the earth’s crust
- Synonym: bluff, cliff, elevation
- Example: The active volcano of Ceboruco rises in the western part of the territory.
Nouns That Start with V You Sometimes Use
From this point onward we’ll scrutinize nouns beginning with V which are used sometimes while speaking and writing. So, you’ll come across a few new nouns in this list.
- Definition: the representation of an object, situation, or set of information as a chart or other image
- Synonym: conceit, conceive, envisage
- Example: Video systems allow visualization of the entire gastrointestinal tract.
- Definition: an infective agent that typically consists of a nucleic acid molecule in a protein coat, is too small to be seen by light microscopy, and is able to multiply only within the living cells of a host
- Synonym: submicroscopic organism, parasite, germ
- Example: He got really sick after catching some kind of virus from a co-worker.
- Definition: a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action
- Synonym: sufferer, casualty, loss
- Example: She was the innocent victim of an arson attack.
- Definition: a person who freely offers to take part in an enterprise or undertake a task
- Synonym: subject, participant
- Example: I volunteer to sleep there tonight, if the love of my life is willing to come along.
- Definition: a stringed musical instrument of treble pitch, played with a horsehair bow
- Synonym: fiddle, viola
- Example: She plays the violin remarkably well.
- Definition: an opening that allows air, gas, or liquid to pass out of or into a confined space
- Synonym: outlet, opening, aperture
- Example: There was a small air vent in the ceiling.
- Definition: a character whose evil actions or motives are important to the plot
- Synonym: criminal, offender, felon
- Example: He plays the villain in most of his movies.
- Definition: a ship or large boat
- Synonym: boat, ship, yacht
- Example: The vessel reached port the next morning.
- Definition: the process of establishing the truth, accuracy, or validity of something
- Synonym: confirmation, corroboration, attestation
- Example: The university waited for verification of the student’s SAT scores and final GPA before admitting her for fall semester
- Definition: an edge or border
- Synonym: edge, border, margin
- Example: They came down to the verge of the lake.
Nouns That Start with V You Occasionally Use
Some noun words that start with V are occasionally used while communicating with others and in this list, we’ll cover a few of these nouns.
- Definition: the place where something happens, especially an organized event such as a concert, conference, or sports competition
- Synonym: place, position, point
- Example: The bride was having trouble picking the perfect venue for the reception, but finally decided on a beautiful garden estate.
- Definition: a poisonous substance secreted by animals such as snakes, spiders, and scorpions and typically injected into prey or aggressors by biting or stinging
- Synonym: poison, toxin
- Example: The venom of the various kinds of snakes acts differently.
- Definition: an organism, typically a biting insect or tick, that transmits a disease or parasite from one animal or plant to another
- Synonym: aim, bearer
- Example: Mosquitoes are the vectors of malaria.
- Definition: a gap left by the loss, death, or departure of someone or something significant
- Synonym: gap, space, absence
- Example: The political vacuum left by the death of the Emperor had to be filled.
- Definition: a sudden or mysterious disappearance
- Synonym: disappearance
- Example: Pitipiti loved her husband and it made her sad to see his affection for her vanishing as he waited for the birth of children.
- Definition: a roof in the form of an arch or a series of arches, typical of churches and other large, formal buildings
- Synonym: dome, arch, arched roof
- Example: The Gothic ribbed vault was very captivating.
- Definition: a distinctive quality, style, or tendency
- Synonym: mood, manner
- Example: He closes his article in a somewhat humorous vein.
- Definition: resin dissolved in a liquid for applying on wood, metal, or other materials to form a hard, clear, shiny surface when dry
- Synonym: lacquer, enamel, glaze
- Example: The varnish comes in six natural wood shades.
- Definition: a constitutional right to reject a decision or proposal made by a lawmaking body
- Synonym: vetoing, dismissal, denial
- Example: Neither state was given a veto over amendments to the act.
- Definition: a medium-sized motor vehicle, typically without side windows in the rear part, for transporting good
- Synonym: wagon, small truck, vehicle
- Example: Delivery vans can’t pull in and are holding up the traffic behind them.
Nouns That Start with V You Seldom Use
In this section, we’ll cover nouns that start with the letter V, which are seldom used. You’ll run into a lot of unfamiliar words in this list.
- Definition: a climbing or trailing woody-stemmed plant related to the grapevine
- Synonym: climbing plant, rambler, crawler
- Example: The vine has begun to grow away from the wall.
- Definition: the inability to decide between different opinions or actions; indecision
- Synonym: dithering, indecision uncertainty
- Example: He could never pledge himself frankly in one sense or the other, and this vacillation prevented him from attaining any decisive results.
- Definition: a person or company offering something for sale, especially a trader in the street
- Synonym: seller, trader, salesman
- Example: Italian ice-cream vendors are very famous.
- Definition: physical strength and good health
- Synonym: hardiness, robustness, strength
- Example: I was 79, but still full of vigour and vitality.
- Definition: a piece of fine material worn by women to protect or conceal the face
- Synonym: purdah, yashmak, mantilla
- Example: The white bride veil looked very charming.
- Definition: the area near or surrounding a particular place
- Synonym: locality, surrounding area
- Example: The number of people living in the immediate vicinity of the office was small.
- Definition: a place or position affording a good view of something
- Synonym: standpoint, point of view, stand
- Example: From my vantage point I could see into the front garden.
- Definition: a cow house
- Synonym: dairy house, cow pasture
- Example: I have many cows in the vaccary.
- Definition: each of the tenth pair of cranial nerves, supplying the heart, lungs, upper digestive tract, and other organs of the chest and abdomen
- Synonym: tenth cranial nerve, phrenic, vagal
- Example: The terminals of the vagus nerve are also stimulated, causing the heart to beat more slowly.
- Definition: a long journey involving travel by sea or in space.
- Synonym: expedition, journey, trip
- Example: He wrote about his voyage to America.
Nouns That Start with V You Rarely Use
Let’s see another set of V-nouns that is infrequently a part of our discussions. You can always use these nouns to sound formal and pleasing simultaneously.
- Definition: a water-borne bacterium of a group that includes some pathogenic kinds that cause cholera, gastroenteritis, and septicaemia
- Synonym: bacteria, germ
- Example: Water containing vibrio bacterium can cause cholera.
- Definition: a period of keeping awake during the time usually spent asleep, especially to keep watch or pray
- Synonym: observance, patrol, attention
- Example: It had been Josh who had stood vigil beside her sick bed, not Alex.
- Definition: the yolk of an egg or ovum
- Synonym: yolk, nutrient, albumen
- Example: It has only been met with in the vitellus of some of the medium sized ova of a young female.
- Definition: a small, typically burrowing, mouse-like rodent with a rounded muzzle
- Synonym: field mouse, pine mouse
- Example: A water vole swam vigorously upstream.
- Definition: bitter criticism or malice
- Synonym: acidness, acridity, bitterness
- Example: The vitriol he hurled at members of the press knew no bounds.
- Definition: a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman
- Synonym: harridan, shrew, termagant
- Example: When the little boy dropped his ice cream, the virago grew red with anger and punished the child severely.
- Definition: meat from a deer
- Synonym: dark meat, flesh
- Example: He dined on venison and champagne whenever he had been so fortunate as to borrow a guinea.
- Definition: a person employed to clean or park cars
- Synonym: male servant, batman
- Example: He handed his keys to the parking valet.
- Definition: a person without a settled home or regular work who wanders from place to place and lives by begging
- Synonym: tramp, drifter, beggar
- Example: Industrial schools are chiefly for vagrant and neglected children and children not convicted of theft.
- Definition: an unexpected and inexplicable change in a situation or in someone’s behaviour
- Synonym: quirk, idiosyncrasy, peculiarity
- Example: He was ready for any illusion, susceptible to any vagary of the imagination.
Positive Nouns That Start with V
Last but not least is the list of positive nouns that start with V. Good communication always comprises words that convey the message in a positive tone, which is accomplished by using positive words.
- Definition: great courage in the face of danger
- Synonym: bravery, courage, fearlessness
- Example: The medals are awarded for acts of valor.
- Definition: the state of being vitalized and filled with life
- Synonym: liveness, energy
- Example: These efforts will complement the city’s ongoing brand-building and vitalization efforts.
- Definition: a thing that is of great worth, especially a small item of personal property
- Synonym: treasure
- Example: Put all your valuables in the hotel safe.
- Definition: accuracy
- Synonym: truthfulness, accuracy, correctness
- Example: No one doubts his veracity.
- Definition: a chaste and/or pure woman
- Synonym: a pure women, nun
- Example: Everyone respects her as she is a vestal.
- Definition: behaviour showing high moral standards
- Synonym: goodness, morality, righteousness
- Example: Without virtue there is no beauty.
- Definition: a person with original ideas about what the future will or could be like
- Synonym: forecaster, foreseer, foreteller
- Example: He is a visionary keen on policy-making.
- Definition: the state of being strong and active
- Synonym: liveliness, life, energy
- Example: Our new leader has made changes that will give renewed vitality to our democracy.
- Definition: a person, such as a monk or nun, who has made vows of dedication to religious service
- Synonym: devotee, zealous worshipper, a devoted admirer
- Example: He was a votary of John Keats.
- Definition: general acceptance or favour, popularity
- Synonym: fashionable, stylish, in fashion
- Example: Crochet garments are in vogue this season.
Nouns That Start with V – Full List (204 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with V
This list of nouns that start with V might not magnify your speaking and writing tone by leaps and bounds but we believe that you will come across some jaunty new words that will help you express your opinions in a much better way. It is crucial to take one step at a time, so if you could only find just one word from this list of nouns beginning with V which would resonate with your tone, then your time spent here was worth it.
If not, then get some good rest for your hard work and check other lists that we have prepared for you and let us know about any unique and stylish nouns starting with V that you use.