Get ready to learn some new and amazing nouns that start with W which could be a very good fit for your writing and speaking style. Words are not just a combination of some letters but within them resides a unique concept, new opinion, and feelings. It is crucial to choose your words wisely as they can help you in any goal that you are seeking to achieve. You can have a great research idea but it might get rejected if you are not able to present it concisely and clearly and this list of nouns starting with W will prove helpful in your journey.
With this list of nouns that start with W, you’ll move one step forward toward upgrading your communication skills. You can also use these nouns that start with W to describe a person, his attributes, or his good qualities to make him feel more comfortable and confident or vice versa. The choice on how to use these nouns beginning with W is solely yours, the purpose of this article will just be to provide you with something new to work with. Let’s jump right at this list of nouns that start with W to see if we could provide you with something useful or not.
Nouns That Start with W You Always Use
We’ll kick off this list with nouns that start with W which are an integral part of our heart-to-heart conversations with someone. You’ll see a lot of familiar words on this list.
- Definition: something that divides or supports
- Synonym: barricade, barrier, blockade
- Example: The map is on the wall.
- Definition: a seven-day period of time
- Synonym: seven days, work week
- Example: He has been sick for a week.
- Definition: the condition of the climate in a particular place
- Synonym: climate, atmosphere
- Example: It was the weather that made her so irritable.
- Definition: a manner of doing something
- Synonym: method, mode, means
- Example: Travel the way you wish to go.
- Definition: a liquid found on the earth with no odor or taste
- Synonym: rain, liquid, H2O
- Example: The water felt delightful.
- Definition: an armed conflict
- Synonym:conflict, combat, battle
- Example: The world is afraid of an atomic war.
- Definition: a lack of strength or a character flaw
- Synonym: fallibility, frailness, imperfection
- Example: I have got over my weakness and fatigue.
- Definition: a round frame that turns from a central point
- Synonym: disk, dial, ring
- Example: Tom can’t ride a bicycle very well yet, so his bicycle has training wheels.
- Definition: a woman who is married
- Synonym: spouse, lady, matron
- Example: His mother and his wife are still there.
- Definition: the natural movement of air
- Synonym: breeze, gust, gale
- Example: After sunset, the wind had dropped.
Nouns That Start with W You Usually Use
In this segment, we’ll go through nouns starting with W, which are by and large a part of our discussions. Let’s see a few of these nouns mentioned below.
- Definition: a pane of glass in a house, car, or other structure
- Synonym: aperture, bay, casement
- Example: Tom shut the window.
- Definition: a letter or group of letters that has meaning when spoken or written
- Synonym: term, designation, name
- Example: Without another word, he walked out the door and down the trail.
- Definition: something made out of the layer right under a tree’s bark
- Synonym: forest, timber, lumber
- Example: Wood is flammable.
- Definition: the planet and all the people on it
- Synonym: earth, globe, planet
- Example: All the money in the world couldn’t have saved her.
- Definition: a person who writes or composes text
- Synonym: columnist, essayist, author
- Example: Homer was a great writer.
- Definition: a female adult human
- Synonym: female, lady, dame
- Example: You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.
- Definition: metal that is in very thin threads or rods
- Synonym: cable, coil, line
- Example: The wire threaded through small loops.
- Definition: the coldest season of the year
- Synonym: wintertime, cold
- Example: It looked nice against her winter paled skin.
- Definition: unwanted or discarded matter
- Synonym: rubbish, garbage, scrap
- Example: They discharge all the waste into the water body.
- Definition: someone who wins or succeeds
- Synonym: champion, conqueror, victor
- Example: She is the clear winner in this election.
Nouns That Start with W You Often Use
Most of the nouns starting with W in this list are often a part of our discussions and writing. We believe after examining this list you would be able to use them in a much better way.
- Definition: the forelimb of a flying animal
- Synonym: appendage, pinion, airfoil
- Example: The wings of the sparrow are very small and delicate.
- Definition: the act of taking something out
- Synonym: abandonment, cancellation, disavowal
- Example: The general authorized the withdrawal of troops from the fields.
- Definition: a person who has seen an event
- Synonym: observer, onlooker, eyewitness
- Example: She is the key witness in the murder case.
- Definition: the act of doing physical exercise or training
- Synonym: tryout, drill, rehearsal
- Example: She does a 20-minute workout every morning.
- Definition: the location where you are employed
- Synonym: office, factory, building
- Example: Employees expect flexibility in the workplace.
- Definition: a ritual showing devotion
- Synonym: praise, prayer, devotion
- Example: For Jews, the synagogue is the center for community worship.
- Definition: money paid to a worker for work performed
- Synonym: salary, earning, payment
- Example: The first strike, which was for an eight-hour day and $3.00 wage, was won by the miners.
- Definition: the part of body between the ribs and hips
- Synonym: midriff, waistline, torso
- Example: What is your waist?
- Definition: a place where goods are stored
- Synonym: depot, store, storehouse
- Example: The trucks waited at the warehouse to pick up their loads.
- Definition: something that alerts to possible danger
- Synonym: cation, admonition, caveat
- Example: Completely without warning, he turned up at my door with all four children!
Nouns That Start with W You Sometimes Use
In this segment, we’ll go through nouns beginning with W which are not used regularly in our daily conversations. You’ll find some new nouns in this section.
- Definition: seller of the good will repair or replace any defects that are found
- Synonym: assurance, contract, guarantee
- Example: The equipment is still under warranty.
- Definition: a swell along the surface of the ocean caused by the wind
- Synonym: curl, gush, swell
- Example: He felt a wave of apprehension and accelerated heartbeat as the door opened.
- Definition: money, property, or possession
- Synonym: abundance, riches, affluence
- Example: Even with all his wealth and fame, he’s unhappy.
- Definition: shortening of the phrase “world wide web”
- Synonym: internet, cyberspace
- Example: A website may have many different web pages for you to click on and explore.
- Definition: the state of good health, happiness, and comfort
- Synonym: happiness, prosperity, success
- Example: Our only concern is the children’s welfare.
- Definition: the direction to the left of a person facing north
- Synonym: occident, westward
- Example: She went out to the west exit of the building.
- Definition: a cereal grass with dense, erect spikes containing grain
- Synonym: grain, corn, hay
- Example: The price of wheat had reached an all-time low.
- Definition: the measurement of the distance from side to side
- Synonym: breadth, diameter, span
- Example: She carefully measured the length and width of the room.
- Definition: wild animals collectively; the native fauna (and sometimes flora) of a region
- Synonym: fauna
- Example: Polluted water sources are a hazard to wildlife.
- Definition: an act of winking
- Synonym: twinkle, sparkle, flicker
- Example: Barney gave him a knowing wink.
Nouns That Start with W You Occasionally Use
Since the nouns words that start with W, listed below, are occasionally used in our daily routine, we can use these to add uniqueness to our writing style.
- Definition: a covering for the head made of real or artificial hair, typically worn by judges and barristers in law courts or by people trying to conceal their baldness
- Synonym: false hair, hair extension, peruke, toupee
- Example: The actress wore a black wig over her blond hair.
- Definition: a prolonged high-pitched cry of pain, grief, or anger
- Synonym: howl, bawl, yowl
- Example: Christopher let out a wail.
- Definition: a heavy blow or punch
- Synonym: punch, blow, hit
- Example: With one brutal wallop, Clarke flattened him.
- Definition: a rod thought to have magic properties, used in casting spells or performing conjuring tricks
- Synonym: baton, stick, pole
- Example: The fairy godmother waves her magic wand and grants the heroine’s wishes.
- Definition: a wasteful or good-for-nothing person
- Synonym: spendthrift, prodigal, profligate
- Example: I have no intention of seeing my dues gambled away by your wastrel of a son.
- Definition: a deceitful or treacherous person
- Synonym: scoundrel, wretch, rogue
- Example: He was a double-crossing weasel.
- Definition: the state of being married
- Synonym: matrimony, marriage, union
- Example: After only a few months of wedlock his wife died, and Gallatin was once more alone.
- Definition: a low dam built across a river to raise the level of water upstream or regulate its flow
- Synonym: bank, barrier, barrage
- Example: A peculiar and cheaper form of drum weir has been constructed across ten bays.
- Definition: a large number of items in no order; a confused mass
- Synonym: jumble, confusion, tangle
- Example: In the face of this welter of depressing statistics, any hope of improvement might seem misplaced.
- Definition: an act of betting a sum of money on the outcome of an unpredictable event
- Synonym: bet, gamble, stake
- Example: They have made a wager on who will win tonight.
Nouns That Start with W You Seldom Use
If you were looking for some new nouns for your vocabulary list, then this section will introduce you to unique and essential nouns that start with the letter W.
- Definition: a level quayside area to which a ship may be moored to load and unload
- Synonym: quay, pier, dock
- Example: A large wharf was built on the bay next to the shipbuilding facility.
- Definition: a smell that is only smelt briefly or faintly
- Synonym: trace, sniff, scent
- Example: He caught a whiff of her perfume.
- Definition: a sudden desire or change of mind, especially one that is unusual or unexplained
- Synonym: impulse, urge, notion, idea
- Example: We booked the trip on a whim.
- Definition: a long, high-pitched complaining cry
- Synonym: whimper, cry, wail
- Example: The dog gave a small whine.
- Definition: a strip of leather or length of cord fastened to a handle, used for flogging or beating a person or for urging on an animal
- Synonym: scourge, lash, strap
- Example: The cruel man lashed the horse with his whip.
- Definition: a continuous and exciting period of activity
- Synonym: excitement
- Example: The next two days passed in a whirl of activity.
- Definition: a person who works with words especially
- Synonym: a skillful writer
- Example: Her gift as a wordsmith placed her on a national stage.
- Definition: a device or mechanism used to wind something, especially something such as a watch or clock or the film in a camera
- Synonym: reel, bobbin, spool
- Example: The built-in winder is capable of three frames per second.
- Definition: pliable twigs, typically of willow, plaited, or woven to make items such as furniture and baskets
- Synonym: twig, wickerwork, straw-plaited
- Example: He was sitting on a wicker chair.
- Definition: a sharp or resounding blow
- Synonym: blow, hit, thump
- Example: With a few whacks and some loud whistles, they drove the animals away.
Nouns That Start with W You Rarely Use
W-nouns that are rarely a part of our conversations can help us upgrade our writing and speaking skills. Let’s have a look at a few of these nouns.
- Definition: a tree or shrub of temperate climates which typically has narrow leaves, bears catkins, and grows near water
- Synonym: shrub, wood, tree, osier
- Example: He broke off a twig from a willow tree and used it to shoo the flies away.
- Definition: caution about possible dangers or problems
- Synonym: caution, carefulness, prudence
- Example: They eyed each other with wariness and suspicion.
- Definition: a loud cry of joy or excitement
- Synonym: shout, cry, yell
- Example: A moment’s silence was followed by whoops of delight.
- Definition: a man who practices witchcraft; a sorcerer
- Synonym: sorcerer, wizard, enchanter
- Example: I have never encountered a warlock in my entire life.
- Definition: the capacity for inventive thought and quick understanding
- Synonym: intelligence, shrewdness, cleverness
- Example: She does not lack perception or native wit.
- Definition: articles offered for sale
- Synonym: goods, products, stock
- Example: Traders in the street markets displayed their wares.
- Definition: an arrangement of flowers, leaves, or stems fastened in a ring and used for decoration or for laying on a grave
- Synonym: garland, circlet, coronet
- Example: The Queen laid a wreath at the Cenotaph.
- Definition: a sudden movement accompanied by a rushing sound
- Synonym: swoosh, wheeze
- Example: There was a big whoosh of air.
- Definition: a person who travels on foot
- Synonym: nomad, traveler, gypsy
- Example: The weary wayfarer in the dark forest arrives very soon at the wrong path.
- Definition: playfully quaint
- Synonym: humor, freak, kink
- Example: The film is an awkward blend of whimsy and moralizing.
Positive Nouns That Start with W
It is essential to have some positive words in our vocabulary as they help us show empathy and bring a pleasant tone to our sentences. So, let’s look at a few of these positive nouns that start with W.
- Definition: a person or company that provides a warranty
- Synonym: endorser, attester, guarantor
- Example: The scope of the ancient obligation was not extended without the warrantor’s assent.
- Definition: enthusiasm, affection, or kindness
- Synonym: friendliness, affability, amiability
- Example: She smiled with real warmth.
- Definition: an instance or manner of greeting someone
- Synonym: greeting, salutation, hail
- Example: You will receive a warm welcome.
- Definition: a person who desires happiness or success for another, or who expresses such a desire
- Synonym: adherent, backer, supporter
- Example: Throughout the afternoon friends and well-wishers left bouquets and messages.
- Definition: strong determination
- Synonym: resolution, resolve
- Example: She has an iron will.
- Definition: the strength of will to carry out wishes
- Synonym: determination, strength of will, dedication
- Example: It took every ounce of willpower to quit smoking.
- Definition: a successful result in a contest, conflict or bet
- Synonym: triumph, conquest, success, victory
- Example: The passage of the bill is a significant win for supporters of offshore drilling.
- Definition: the ability to use your knowledge and experiences to make the right decisions
- Synonym: intelligence, prudence
- Example: The men of the tribe often sought wisdom from their spiritual healer.
- Definition: a person notable or important in a particular sphere
- Synonym: notable, dignitary
- Example: The front row of chairs was reserved for local worthies.
- Definition: a person who achieves great success when relatively young
- Synonym: genius, boy wonder, gifted child
- Example: Zamora was the wunderkind in her family.
Nouns That Start with W – Full List (256 words)
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with W
English literature is full of nouns beginning with W and other letters but we have managed to include only some of them in this list that will give your audience a pleasant and calm reading experience. We believe some of these nouns starting with W mentioned in this list will be able to make it in your vocabulary list and will improve your day-to-day and formal communication.
Do you think we missed some important nouns that start with W? If yes, then do let us know about it in the comment section.